MA non res LTC

A general form where all topics can be discussed.

Re: MA non res LTC

Postby cookiecutter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Well, I am finally making the move to RI at the end of this month ... I already have my RI permit, but now I find that on a day to day basis, it will be of limited value since the job I have lined up is in Fall River, MA. It now looks like I will be applying for a MA LTC as soon as I can after getting settled in. I really don't like the Feds stepping into this whole CCW thing, but the idea of national reciprocity sure has an appeal when it comes to carrying ... especially when you live in a state the size of RI!

CC
cookiecutter

Postby cranston » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 pm

cookiecutter wrote:I really don't like the Feds stepping into this whole CCW thing, but the idea of national reciprocity sure has an appeal when it comes to carrying

Normally I'd agree but I've been thinking about this a lot and I don't think that the national reciprocity bills constitute federal overreach...the Constitution is basically a federal document and states and the federal government have been infringing on the US Constitution as well as their own state constitutions for decades now with all of these various gun laws and restrictions. I think the bills are a good thing; they're short and simple.
cranston

Postby Uncle Duke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm

I hold classes for the MA LTC class once a month at Faneuil Hall Marketplace on the second Saturday of the month. My next class is on August 12th. The cost of the course is $75.00. If you do not have a CCW/CHL from your state of residence, the cost is $150. I also provide instruction/certification for the Utah CHP. Both of these courses are no live-fire. For those who reside in towns that require live fire training, there is a slight additional cost to cover range time and ammunition. If interested, PM me or call Practical Defense Concepts at (617) 973-6441.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby cranston » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:37 pm

I had my interview this morning in Chelsea, the process was very quick and professional and took about 15 minutes. They just went through my application to verify that everything was filled out fully and correctly and asked standard questions (Are you a habitual drunkard? Are you a felon? Are you a mental incompetent? Etc.) and took a picture and electronic fingerprints.

A few points: I asked and was told that new applications are currently taking about 8-10 weeks to process, because all new applicants have to be reviewed/approved by the department head which takes a while after they do the background checks. They are of course understaffed and process thousands of non-resident apps per year and the application numbers have increased by over 1,000 over the past year or so. Also there is no "Class A / B" permit, there's just one LTC permit for non-residents. Non-residents can carry high-capacity magazines with the permit as long as the magazine is pre-ban...otherwise it must be 10 rounds or less. Finally, I asked about why it was difficult for a non-resident to get an unrestricted permit, and was told that this was not true and the only reason a restricted permit would be issued is if the reason wasn't detailed enough in the application when showing need. Simply putting "for all lawful purposes" may work for local permit apps where chiefs review them but does NOT suffice for non-residents / the state Firearms Records Bureau and you have to be very specific in your reasoning for an unrestricted LTC.

Hope this info was useful.
cranston

Postby cookiecutter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:47 pm

cranston wrote:I had my interview this morning in Chelsea, the process was very quick and professional and took about 15 minutes. They just went through my application to verify that everything was filled out fully and correctly and asked standard questions (Are you a habitual drunkard? Are you a felon? Are you a mental incompetent? Etc.) and took a picture and electronic fingerprints.

A few points: I asked and was told that new applications are currently taking about 8-10 weeks to process, because all new applicants have to be reviewed/approved by the department head which takes a while after they do the background checks. They are of course understaffed and process thousands of non-resident apps per year and the application numbers have increased by over 1,000 over the past year or so. Also there is no "Class A / B" permit, there's just one LTC permit for non-residents. Non-residents can carry high-capacity magazines with the permit as long as the magazine is pre-ban...otherwise it must be 10 rounds or less. Finally, I asked about why it was difficult for a non-resident to get an unrestricted permit, and was told that this was not true and the only reason a restricted permit would be issued is if the reason wasn't detailed enough in the application when showing need. Simply putting "for all lawful purposes" may work for local permit apps where chiefs review them but does NOT suffice for non-residents / the state Firearms Records Bureau and you have to be very specific in your reasoning for an unrestricted LTC.

Hope this info was useful.

Thanks for the info. I am just settling in, but hope to process this application soon. If I can get some closure on my schedule next weekend, I may try to hit Duke's class in Faneuil Hall on the 12th to get that out of the way. It is good to know that they want specifics on the app ... as a restricted permit would be just about useless for me.
cookiecutter

Postby AListActor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi so I want to apply for non resident I live in Richmond. I don't have ri concealed but do have the Utah. So what do I put for home address because it's asking for photocopy of home state license to carry.. also how do I retrieve a criminal history report
AListActor

Postby cranston » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:34 pm

AListActor wrote:Hi so I want to apply for non resident I live in Richmond. I don't have ri concealed but do have the Utah. So what do I put for home address because it's asking for photocopy of home state license to carry.. also how do I retrieve a criminal history report

You have to have a license from your home state and only have to attach a criminal history report if you're from Louisiana, Washington D.C., or any American Territory. It's all in the app: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/fir ... -19-15.pdf
cranston

Postby mossberg500 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:02 am

mossberg500 wrote:They are still taking quite a bit of time on renewals.

Sent my renewal PW in and was received 4/6/17 (no interview required this year). My LTC expires in early August, so I emails them on a status update, and was told that it was in the final stages and will be printed soon. Over 3 mos and counting.

Almost a month later. I called last week and was told it was in "Final review". AGAIN!

I now have an expired LTC with no idea when I will get my renewal.
mossberg500

Postby YKCOR1313 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:17 am

It took a little over 4 months for my renewal. Mine expires on June 30th every year and i sent out my renewal the first week of January and received my permit in late April. I already completed my application for 2018 and will mail it the first week of January 2018.
YKCOR1313

Postby cranston » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 am

Horrible. They said to mail in renewal apps 4 months in advance. I think I saw a bill in MA to extend non-resident permits to 6 years instead of 1 but it didn't look like it gained any traction.
cranston

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion