National Reciprocity Bill (H.R. 38) Passes

A general form where all topics can be discussed.

National Reciprocity Bill (H.R. 38) Passes

Postby Uncle Duke » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 pm

It passed in the House, next stop the U.S. Senate. If it passes in the Senate (not a slam dunk) and Trump signs it, almost certainly states attorneys generals who oppose CCW or reciprocity (like MA, NY, NYC, NJ, MD, CA, and HI) will file a petition with SCOTUS and try to make a case that this violates states' rights.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Re: National Reciprocity Bill (H.R. 38) Passes

Postby RImike » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 am

Uncle Duke wrote:It passed in the House, next stop the U.S. Senate. If it passes in the Senate (not a slam dunk) and Trump signs it, almost certainly states attorneys generals who oppose CCW or reciprocity (like MA, NY, NYC, NJ, MD, CA, and HI) will file a petition with SCOTUS and try to make a case that this violates states' rights.

As much as despise the premise of this, I find it ironic how the liberals wet their pants when legislation impact them in a manner in which it doesn't fit their agenda. They all were for Wickard v. Filburn however now when the federal government overreached they loose their shit.
RImike

Postby newportri » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 am

Although I like the concept of national reciprocity I have mixed feelings about laws that forces States to recognize other states laws since it might come back and bite us later. I would also expect it to be challenged in court, but we will have to wait and see.
It would be nice if the States would recognize every permit without federal interaction like they do with driver's licenses.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Blast54 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 am

My views on national reciprocity is that I would love to see it if there was also a standardized process which included say 8 hrs of classroom covering safety and law and then another x amount hours of proficiency on a range to teach/prove competence drawing from concealed etc.

For a driving licence you have to know what to do at different types of intersections, rural, interstate, merge , how to pass....let's make sure everyone is on the same page with gun safety . I go to a lot of different ranges where I will have to point out unsafe habits where the shooter doesn't even realize he could kill or injure someone on the range....if approached the right way they usually respond well...if not, I pack up.
Blast54

Postby RImike » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Blast54 wrote:My views on national reciprocity is that I would love to see it if there was also a standardized process which included say 8 hrs of classroom covering safety and law and then another x amount hours of proficiency on a range to teach/prove competence drawing from concealed etc.

For a driving licence you have to know what to do at different types of intersections, rural, interstate, merge , how to pass....let's make sure everyone is on the same page with gun safety . I go to a lot of different ranges where I will have to point out unsafe habits where the shooter doesn't even realize he could kill or injure someone on the range....if approached the right way they usually respond well...if not, I pack up.

I think the class in which you speak of should also include some from of cliff notes on what the goose laws are. I foresee people getting jammed up when traveling to a more restricted state (such as going from RI to MA).
RImike

Postby Uncle Duke » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:05 pm

newportri wrote:It would be nice if the States would recognize every permit without federal interaction like they do with driver's licenses.

The problem with relying on states to enact legislation or enter into reciprocity agreements is that they don't do it routinely, which is why we have these bills in the House and Senate. Each state wants to assert their authority over what happens within their borders. The example that you mention, which is governed by the Driver License Agreement compact between states, is still problematic. While all states recognize driver licenses issued by all states, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Marshall Islands, not every state is a signatory and not every state follows the DLA to the letter. Trying to get everyone on board with individual agreements is virtually impossible because they each have different ideas about what is needed to qualify someone for a concealed carry permit. Just look up states like Illinois which is supposedly a "shall issue" state. They only grant CCWs to Arkansas, Mississippi, Virginia, and Texas. Even then, the applicant has to take a firearm safety course from a certified Illinois firearm instructor and jump through a bunch of hoops in order to obtain their license.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Return to General Discussion