Video surveillance system question

A general form where all topics can be discussed.

Video surveillance system question

Postby newportri » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:54 pm

This is not a gun question, but since I figured there are several people here that have a video surveillance system I figured I'd ask. I installed a system a few months ago, but I haven't really had much time to play with it and I honestly think the user interface is not the great and the manual was far from the best I have seen either. It's slow and difficult to go back and check for activity. Do you know If these systems typically have a feature where you can search when there was activity on a camera and if this can be set? For example, I don't want to be notified every time a car drives by or I walk in my yard, but it would be nice to be able to find when someone were in my driveway after for example 10pm. It would be really slow for me to go back and check the system manually if for example I thought there was some suspicious activity one night. My system is Sance I believe, but the camera's are Swan I believe.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: Video surveillance system question

Postby davidzen » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:38 pm

Usually, there is the ability to exclude areas so you could mark the street area to not generate an alert. Further, you can normally set the sensitivity level so you should not get too many false alerts. In the interface I have now, I have the video set to only record when there is motion. I can then filter to show when there is a recording and view those times only. I used to use Blue Iris software which was great in its ability to customize the alarms, sensitivity, and masking areas. It was difficult to configure at first, but once configured, it was well worth the effort. The new system I had put in a few months ago is not compatible with Blue Iris though, so I am stuck with a lesser performing software from the vendor....
davidzen

Re: Video surveillance system question

Postby newportri » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks, I will have to look into it when I get a chance.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to General Discussion