Carry while running?

A general form where all topics can be discussed.

Carry while running?

Postby MasterGuns2077 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Anybody here tried it? Not really interested in the fanny pack option. I've seen the 5.11 Undershirts with the zipping "shoulder holster" pocket and belly bands.
I'm not gonna lie and say I'm an avid runner, but I like a good jog around town or on the Greenway every now and then and feel like I'm at my most vulnerable in those situations. I've heard it said that if you don't feel safe where you are running, you should pick a different route. I get that, but anyone who has used the Greenway before knows it's supposed to be "safe" yet you still come across the random junkie tweaking out on the path or shady characters coming and going from the woods, and I think it's impossible to have a route around town that's completely safe all the time.
Not that I need to offer any justification for carrying anywhere, anytime ;)
MasterGuns2077

Re: Carry while running?

Postby RImike » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:36 pm

It all depends on where you want it while you exercise. You options on on your junk on in your arm pit.
RImike

Postby newportri » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:49 pm

I haven't tried it, but I would think that a bellyband is the most comfortable since it is at your core and where there will be the least movement. I have a bellyband that I have used and it is actually pretty comfortable, but the disadvantage is that drawing it is slower.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Uncle Duke » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:36 am

I agree with newportri, I'd opt for the belly band.
Other options are Thunderwear or an in the waistband or appendix holster sewn to a waistband or belt that you might thread through your sweats.
Last edited by Uncle Duke on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified DC Concealed Carry, MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor.

Member of GOAL, Life NRA Member
Uncle Duke

Postby MasterGuns2077 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks, I was leaning towards the bellyband as it would offer me another carry option for my day to day carrying.
MasterGuns2077

Postby newportri » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:39 pm

A bellyband also keeps the beer belly in and I am considering wearing one regardless of whether I carry or not :lol:
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby RImike » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:23 pm

newportri wrote:A bellyband also keeps the beer belly in and I am considering wearing one regardless of whether I carry or not :lol:

I do :D
RImike

Postby MasterGuns2077 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:38 am

newportri wrote:A bellyband also keeps the beer belly in and I am considering wearing one regardless of whether I carry or not :lol:

Sold! :D

I'm growing one of those myself, hence the running. Pretty tough to fight a slowing metabolism and the appetite of a teenager with 3 miles every few days though.
MasterGuns2077

Postby RImike » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:55 pm

I would recommend a holster that had a thumb snap for positive retention, something like this: http://www.pistolwear.com/pt-2-concealment-holster/

I have a fat belt (belly band) and it doesn't and I would bet that while jogging, it would ride up.
RImike

Postby MasterGuns2077 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:14 pm

I picked up one of the 511 shirts. It works pretty well but if you actually wear it while running it will rub you raw toward the barrel. I remedied this problem by tucking some of the excess fabric under the holster portion. It relieves a lot of the rubbing. I wouldn't recommend wearing it on anything longer than 3 miles, and I've heard of some wearing a shirt under it as well. This sounds like too much layering to me.
I could also see using it for other outdoor activities where you want to carry but might want to wear more athletic apparel, like a hike or a walk through the park.
Even if you carry shoulder holster every day and practice all the time, I just don't see this having a fast draw. The velcro is tight and the weapon will be at the bottom of the holster pocket. With enough practice one might be able to draw quickly, but you'll have to wear a shirt over it (especially if you get the white like I did) and the process of lifting the shirt, breaking through the velcro and getting to the weapon takes a couple seconds.
Still, I'd rather have my weapon on a run than not, and this shirt allows me to do that.
MasterGuns2077

Next

Return to General Discussion