Storage / Safes

A general form where all topics can be discussed.

Re: Storage / Safes

Postby Blast54 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm

As to fire protection, I have a Liberty 35 that is rated at 1200 degrees for an hour and a half. I talked to a fireman buddy of mine when I bought it and he said if the house burns the safe ends up in the basement and they have talked to homeowners that have had their safes opened afterwards and even documents/cash have survived . And those have not even had fire ratings as good as the Liberty.
Blast54

Postby red___rover » Fri May 06, 2016 1:49 pm

Blast54 wrote:As to fire protection, I have a Liberty 35 that is rated at 1200 degrees for an hour and a half. I talked to a fireman buddy of mine when I bought it and he said if the house burns the safe ends up in the basement and they have talked to homeowners that have had their safes opened afterwards and even documents/cash have survived . And those have not even had fire ratings as good as the Liberty.

Thats one thing I wondered as fard as burn ratings / times.
red___rover

Postby newportri » Fri May 06, 2016 2:19 pm

There are safes that will protect the contents better than others, but a lot of them use their own standard.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-fire-ratings/
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Blast54 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:17 pm

newportri wrote:There are safes that will protect the contents better than others, but a lot of them use their own standard.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-fire-ratings/

Agreed, you get what you pay for ;)
Blast54

Postby RImike » Fri May 06, 2016 4:16 pm

One of the only advantages to Black Friday is which ever Winchester safe Tractor Supply has is quite decent from the reviews. BJ's also has a good name brand safe as well, I believe it was stack-on.
RImike

Postby Uncle Duke » Fri May 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Liberty, Browning, and AMSEC are all good safes and offer a degree of protection against fires and will slow down your garden variety burglar. However, each of these have a limited TL rating; you don't usually see a TL rating on residential gun safes, only a RSC (Residential Security Container). They offer limited resistance against a tool attack (attempted burglary/robbery).

Safes that are certified as burglary-resistant bear the metal label of Underwriters Laboratories Inc.

The UL’s rigorous testing is conducted by burglary experts using a variety of devices, including diamond grinding wheels, high-speed drills with pressure-applying devices, carbide-tip drills, and hand tools such as hammers and chisels. The tests are conducted under ideal laboratory conditions, unlike those a real burglar usually encounters. Security experts say it could take a typical burglar as much as three or four times longer to crack a UL-tested safe. Thus, the UL rating represents the minimum protection a safe is certified to provide.

Underwriters Laboratories uses 10 classifications or ratings for burglary-resistant safes. They are, in increasing order of protection: TL-15; Deposit Safe; TL-30; TRTL-30; TL-15X6; TL-30X6; TRTL-15X6; TRTL-30 X6; TRTL-60X6; TXTL-60X6. Each letter and number of the rating code represents a different aspect of security that the safe provides.

Burglar’s tools: TL means a safe is tool-resistant, TR means it’s torch-resistant, TRTL indicates that it’s tool- and torch-resistant, and TXTL stands for torch-, tool-, and explosives-resistant.
The highest rating is the TXTL safe, which is rated against an attack using explosives. Very few safe manufacturers made these and I believe only one manufacturer still makes them. If you have to have the ultimate in security (short of buying a bank vault from Diebold), you'll buy a Chubb. You'll also pay out the ass for it.

Extent of resistance: the numbers 15, 30, and 60 represent the number of minutes a safe will withstand a series of attacks. The longer a safe can resist a break-in, the more likely it is that burglars will flee and that police or security guards will arrive before any jewelry is stolen.

Sides of a Safe. X6 means a safe provides equal protection on all six sides (including top and bottom). When X6 isn’t listed, it means the safe provides protection only on its front face and door.
Thus, a TRTL-30X6 UL rating means a safe is certified to resist entry from torch and tools on all six sides for a half-hour. A TL-15 rating means a safe can resist physical attack from tools to its front face or door for 15 minutes. TXTL safes do not have a numerical rating.

For RSC rated safes, Browning is a good safe, as is any safe made by Amsec. Liberty Safes are good against fire and the average burglar. The higher end safes made by Liberty Safe (Lincoln, National, Presidential) have thicker bodies, as do their cousins from the National Safe Company (which was purchased a few years back by Liberty Safe Company). If you want a commercial safe that is rated for TRTL-x, you can get one that is used and reconditioned at a reasonable price and comparable to what you would pay for a residential gun safe.

Uncle Duke
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified DC Concealed Carry, MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor.

Member of GOAL, Life NRA Member
Uncle Duke

Postby Blast54 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:06 pm

The higher end Liberty safes are more than just thicker steel. Ball bearing ard facing on door ( drill resistant), glass internal relockers and a few other things I don't remember.
They are UL listed and fire tested by Omega Labs. My point being they are more resistant to attack than a "garden variety burglar".
Buddy of mine works for United Lock in Cranston and says that to get into that safe you would need extensive knowledge of the lock mechinism , drill from the side,hope you don't break the glass relocker and have a lot of time on your hands. You could also use a auto-dialer which can take up to 72 hours and are very expensive :)

You do get what you pay for. You can go to tractor supply and buy a run of the mill safe for short money, you won't find my safe for much under $3k.
Might sound like I am bragging but I know for a fact no one can break into my safe without putting a gun to my head and you would probably get shot first. The safe is only a small part of a good system designed to protect life and property

The best safecrackers in the business never steal a penny. They work for UL.
Blast54

Postby SirSqueeboo » Fri May 06, 2016 7:31 pm

A good friend of mine got a TL30 safe on craiglist for dirt cheap, bought from a jewelry shop that was closing. Looking there might yield some good results.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Previous

Return to General Discussion