Storage / Safes

A general form where all topics can be discussed.

Storage / Safes

Postby red___rover » Thu May 05, 2016 5:35 pm

While it's largely determined by the size and type of collection looking to see what peoples preferred methods of storage are. Trigger plastic/soft cases under the bed? Metal cabinet/locker style? Full blown fire-rated safe? Separate for long guns and pistols? Same for ammo ... different safe or stored together?
red___rover

Re: Storage / Safes

Postby newportri » Thu May 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Fire rated safes would be the best although if your house burns they won't do much. I don't care much for gun cabinets/lockers since they can be pried open with a screw driver. It's only good for keeping kids away from the guns. Storing your guns in a gun cabinet will just tell someone where your guns are and you will be better off actually hiding them somewhere..
If you are considering buying a new safe you were hopefully able to testify on H7103 last night (was held for further study) since it would exempt safes from sales tax. In case you didn't notice, there has been quite a bit of turmoil and a change in the House Finance Committee and I am sure they have more pressing issues right now, such as a $9B budget that the new Chair person has to work on..
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText16/HouseText16/H7103.pdf
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby red___rover » Thu May 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Thats the route I run right now ... was wondering and maybe starting to look into a larger safe firearms that just get occasional use. I don't have near enough to fill even a 10-gun safe but was figuring I could fill it and store ammo in there at the same time. Price wise it'd be worth the extra for the fp even if its just for weight and construction build.
I'd seen the bill however haven't had any chance to make a hearing ... and yeah apparently my local and neighbor has been wandering around a bit.
red___rover

Postby RImike » Thu May 05, 2016 7:10 pm

red___rover wrote:Thats the route I run right now ... was wondering and maybe starting to look into a larger safe firearms that just get occasional use. I don't have near enough to fill even a 10-gun safe but was figuring I could fill it and store ammo in there at the same time. Price wise it'd be worth the extra for the fp even if its just for weight and construction build.
I'd seen the bill however haven't had any chance to make a hearing ... and yeah apparently my local and neighbor has been wandering around a bit.

lol, those 10 gun safes fill up real quick. FYI, a "10 gun" safe realistically holds about 6 AR's, less if there optics on them.

I'm going to be buying a house this summer and will invest in a monster safe then.
RImike

Postby demjones » Thu May 05, 2016 7:44 pm

RImike wrote:I'm going to be buying a house this summer and will invest in a monster safe then.

Perhaps build a reinforced gun room into the basement?
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby newportri » Thu May 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Yeah, the number of guns that are listed on the gun safes refers to handguns I think..
It's hard to find ANY safe under $300, but if you are willing to spend a little more ($600+) you should be able to get a pretty nice safe that will hold 16-24 guns. The convertible safes are nice since you can put long guns on one side and handguns and ammo on the shelves on the other sides. When you acquire more long guns, you can modify it and take the ammo out to fit more long guns since I don't think it is that necessary to store ammo in a safe.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby RImike » Fri May 06, 2016 12:32 am

demjones wrote:
RImike wrote:I'm going to be buying a house this summer and will invest in a monster safe then.

Hence "monster safe" :lol:
RImike

Postby SirSqueeboo » Fri May 06, 2016 1:09 am

demjones wrote:

"Storm shelter" ;)
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby RImike » Fri May 06, 2016 2:38 am

SirSqueeboo wrote:
demjones wrote:

"Storm shelter" ;)

That's what I told my wife
RImike

Postby rijohng » Fri May 06, 2016 1:28 pm

"
demjones wrote:
RImike wrote:
"Storm shelter" ;)

That's what I told my wife

"Wine/Root Cellar" works sometimes too...
rijohng

Next

Return to General Discussion