Leadhead Bulk Ammo

A general form where all topics can be discussed.

Leadhead Bulk Ammo

Postby trboyden » Wed May 25, 2016 1:36 am

Just recently received an order of 115 grain 9mm Leadhead re-manufactured cartridges from AmmoMarket.com. Seems like decent ammo, but curious what my fellow firearm owners think about receiving defective rounds in a bulk ammo purchase? Not talking about a lot, 8 rounds out of 1000 that were over-seated. The defective rounds are bad enough that I will probably need need to toss them next time at the range, because I think they are too deep to use a puller on them. It's my first time buying re-manufactured ammo, so more curious than anything. I inspected each round in the batch as I boxed them in MTM ammo cases. Glad I did.

Let me know what you think...

MTM 9mm Ammo Cases.jpg

LeadHead Defective 9mm Cartridges.jpg

LeadHead 9mm Cartridges Invoice,jpg.JPG

Cheers,

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trboyden

Re: Leadhead Bulk Ammo

Postby Blast54 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:51 am

I would be cautious. It appears as if they are lacking on quality control before shipping. The deep seated heads are an obvious defect. I would say the same they probably are just as lax as to powder charges.
That could be very dangerous if you are using them and have a squib load or a round with no powder at all.

Time to buy a press and make your own "remanufactured" ammo ;)
Blast54

Postby RImike » Wed May 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Blast54 wrote:I would be cautious. It appears as if they are lacking on quality control before shipping. The deep seated heads are an obvious defect. I would say the same they probably are just as lax as to powder charges.
That could be very dangerous if you are using them and have a squib load or a round with no powder at all.

Careful, reloading is addicting as flashlights :lol:
RImike

Postby SirSqueeboo » Wed May 25, 2016 12:53 pm

I have experienced too many issue with various reman companies to ever buy it again, especially BVAC and MBI. These companies hire drunk monkeys to handle their QC. Spend an extra $20 and buy quality factory new ammo.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby red___rover » Wed May 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Anyone have good sources for buying bulk online?
red___rover

Postby demjones » Wed May 25, 2016 1:45 pm

I've been happy with Target Sports USA:
http://www.targetsportsusa.com

They have weekly sales, and shipping for case lots is almost always free. Being located in CT, the free shipping is also fast (2 days or so).
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby shovel1966 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Before I started reloading in 2006, I would buy bulk "remanufactured" ammo in 9mm, .45acp, and .40 from Georgia Arms (www.georgia-arms.com) at the local gun shows. (I lived in free states before I moved to RI) I purchased them by the ammo can of 500 rounds that they called "Canned Heat." Out of the several thousand rounds, I have purchased and shot, I have not had a single problem with any of them. Last I checked on their website, they did ship the same product. Don't think it will be any cheaper than buying new cheap target ammo locally, but the "canned heat" is very high quality.

Several of my co-workers order and shoot remanufactured ammo from Freedom Munitions (https://www.freedommunitions.com) and no one I know has had any issue at all with them either. A couple of my friends complain that the shipping is a little slower than some retailers, but I can't confirm that. Personally I have not ordered from them or shot their product. Just relaying to you what my friends/co-workers have been happy with.

I would defiantly be cautions of shooting the ammo you purchased. 9mm is a fairly high pressure round with small case area. Any overseating of a bullet can spike the pressure high enough to cause a catastrophic failure, damage to your firearm and/or personal injury. Glad you inspected your ammo.
shovel1966

Postby trboyden » Thu May 26, 2016 12:36 am

I agree, and I had the same concern, hence my post. But I wasn't sure if I was being too OCD or not. Being a software developer, I tend to have higher QC standards and am less risk tolerant when QC issues are obvious. On the positive side, I figured I now have a lot of brass to reload!

Think it would be prudent to take a caliper measure/weigh each cartridge before using? What would the average 115 grain, 9mm cartridge weigh?

I have been pricing out single stage press kits, so reloading is definitely in my future.

Thanks!

Tim

Blast54 wrote:I would be cautious. It appears as if they are lacking on quality control before shipping. The deep seated heads are an obvious defect. I would say the same they probably are just as lax as to powder charges.

trboyden

Return to General Discussion