Share Your Favorite Books

A general form where all topics can be discussed.

Re: Share Your Favorite Books

Postby MM2(SS) » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Gun Control in the Third Reich: Disarming the Jews and "Enemies of the State" (Stephen P. Halbrook). Pretty good read.
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Postby shovel1966 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:19 am

JohnyMac wrote:I did a quick search and I didn't see a post for this topic. So here are my resent reads and I can recommend all three!

Unintended Consequences John Ross
Enimies Foreign and Domestic trilogy Matt Bracken: http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/ I have read the first two and just downloaded the
third one onto my computer from Amazon.

Share your top reads both fiction and non-fiction. :D

I managed to find a PDF copy of Unintended Consequences because it looks like the paperback is hard to find and hard cover even more difficult. I started reading it this week and only on page 131 of 749. So far it's an easy and interesting read, but seems to be more character development and setting the stage for what is about to come. Some of the reviews I have read online is that the last couple hundred pages is the whole idea of the book, but it takes several hundred pages to get there. Since I have been enjoying it, I will continue reading when I have the time.

Thanks for the recommendation, JohnnyMac.
shovel1966

Postby shovel1966 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:28 am

I just finished reading "Unintended Consequences" and I have to say it is probably one of the better fiction pieces I have read in decades or maybe my entire life. It is definitely very detailed in character and storyline development during the first half of the book although still interesting. I really enjoyed the fictional characters in parallel with real American history along with the actual dates, names and events of actual people and events.

Several years of research must have gone into the historical facst that are woven into this book to make the reader feel connected to the characters. Once the book picked up into the second half and "everything started happening," it was hard to put it down. I was hoping for a good ending that didn't leave me hanging after reading almost 800 full sized pages. I was very pleased with the final pages and the outcome of the story. I am actually amazed that Ross wrote this book over a two decades ago. The storyline and message the book sends seems more relevant now that it did when he wrote it.

I would really like to get a hardback copy of this in good condition to keep on my bookshelf as I will probably end up reading it again someday.

It's not a short story, the book is difficult to find at a reasonable price, but I highly recommend it to everyone who has any interest in the current political climate, who believes in the 2nd Amendment for all law abiding citizens, or anyone who wishes for the government to have minimal power and control over the private lives of citizens.
shovel1966

Previous

Return to General Discussion