WPRI story

This is a forum for posting current local and national news articles.

WPRI story

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:00 am

Few have legal right to carry concealed handgun in Rhode Island

http://wpri.com/2016/08/25/few-have-legal-right-to-carry-concealed-handgun-in-rhode-island/
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Re: WPRI story

Postby RImike » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:44 am

Tim went 99% of the way and failed short of asking the tough questions. Such as informing viewers that municipalities have no statuary authority to charge more than $40.
RImike

Postby Dan F. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:10 am

In the video you have to just love when asked how the town/city permits are supposed to be "shall" issue the former Chief smirks and actually admits to circumventing the law, "We don't support it that way". Wow!!
Dan F.

Postby Huh123 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks for posting. It's amazing to see a news story mearly sharing the facts when it comes to CCW or guns in general. This story didn't feel biased, which was refreshing.
Huh123

Postby newportri » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:25 pm

I think the story was pretty good and mostly accurate and it showed they had done some great research. However, I wish they had brought up how the law is ignored by the Chiefs in many cases as well as the Gadomski case. I would also have liked to see them interview the Chief in Lincoln and have him explain why it is necessary to sign a blanket release form for medical, work, and financial records.
I also think he should have highlighted that there are about 4000 active permits in RI while there are 500,000 active permits in MA so something isn't right. The AG also failed to mention that they offer denied applicants to withdraw their applications in lieu of a denial. The true percentage of approvals is not what the AG claims..
I might actually contact WPRI if they are interested in a follow up story and get them to ask some tougher questions next time.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Are we able to get the info from the AG regarding how many total applications, how many withdrawn, denied, approved? They keep throwing around that 98% number, but we all know that's baloney.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:59 pm

I did request it last year going back the last 10 years. However, they quoted me some ridiculous cost to do it so I declined.
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:25 pm

According to the story, they were able to get info from every town except Woonsocket. They did the same thing, quoted an exorbitant sum to supply the data.
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Was that one of the towns you are doing? How much did they request? You should be able to get the application at least.
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:30 pm

newportri wrote:Was that one of the towns you are doing? How much did they request? You should be able to get the application at least.

No, it wasn't one of mine. I got all mine back with no issues. In fact most of them were downright polite (as I was).
n1bsbri

Return to News