MA pass bill that bans devices that will increase firerate

Announcements about upcoming legislation in RI and nationally.

MA pass bill that bans devices that will increase firerate

Postby newportri » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:50 pm

The bill is supposed to ban bump stocks, but is so broad and vague it will also ban many commonly available after market parts that even slightly increases the rate of fire. Even a lighter weight bolt on an ar15, springs, triggers, etc. would fall under this category. The worst part is that it doesn't apply to only semi automatic rifles, but pretty much ALL firearms, including bolt and lever action guns...
The RI antis will most likely try the same in RI next session and we have to do all we can to stop it.
https://www.facebook.com/paulheroux.org/photos/p.2061833563827611/2061833563827611/?type=3&theater
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: MA pass bill that bans devices that will increase firera

Postby RImike » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:18 pm

If you reload your musket faster than your friend, or reload faster than you did last time you then are technically a criminal.
RImike

Postby cookiecutter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:58 pm

I think that anything like this that passes is nuts, and even though the statutory requirement (at least as written) requires that the state prove "intent" to win a conviction, the mere fact that there is one more thing on the books that they can sling out there in hopes that something sticks to a law abiding owner really sucks.

This whole LV shooting is going to make our fight harder and it is appearing to me that someone (I have no idea who) is obviously hiding something (I don't know what) in this case. It really makes me wonder if the whole purpose of the attack was actually to attack the 2A.

Elements of our society clearly have rationalized that "the ends justify the means" ... so once that happens, even something as heinous as LV can be rationalized. As the CBS VP who got fired showed us, Country music fans don't even rate as real people anyway, and that would make the rationalization even easier. Ten years ago, I would have thought that scenario to be wild second-rate fiction, it saddens me to say that "today, not so much."

CC
cookiecutter

Postby newportri » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:40 am

Well, the more I think about it, the less effect I think this bill will have and is more of a feel good legislation. Adding a bump stock won't technically make the gun fire any quicker because you are not modifying the actual firing mechanism. I agree that a slide fire will be able to "pull the trigger" faster than my trigger finger, but it doesn't increase the firing rate of the gun itself. In theory I can see that a lighter bolt, different springs, etc. could increase the firing rate (on an ar-15), but that's not the intent of the bill. I think what they tried to address (bump stocks)won't be affected, but guns they didn't intend to affect COULD be affected if certain parts are replaced that allows the gun to actually cycle and fire faster.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to Current Legislation