2015: S670 - Alteration of marks on a firearm

Announcements about upcoming legislation in RI and nationally.

2015: S670 - Alteration of marks on a firearm

Postby newportri » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 am

This act would include orange or otherwise brightly colored plugs, or tips inserted into the barrel of any firearm within the definition of "mark of identification" for those persons who change, alter, remove, or obliterate any mark of identification on a firearm.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText15/SenateText15/S0670.pdf
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: 2015: S670 - Alteration of marks on a firearm

Postby RImike » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:45 pm

newportri wrote:
This act would include orange or otherwise brightly colored plugs, or tips inserted into the barrel of any firearm within the definition of "mark of identification" for those persons who change, alter, remove, or obliterate any mark of identification on a firearm.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText15/SenateText15/S0670.pdf

RImike

Postby newportri » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Maybe it is a big problem in Providence that criminals remove the orange plug on airsoft guns and rob banks with them since they look so realistic...
newportri

Postby RImike » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:07 pm

newportri wrote:Maybe it is a big problem in Providence that criminals remove the orange plug on airsoft guns and rob banks with them since they look so realistic...

Or add them to real firearms to create a false illusion? The stupid is high with this bill........
RImike

Postby demjones » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:25 pm

I don't have a reference handy, but I recall reading about gang members in either California or Chicago altering their firearms to make them appear like toys. Take that with a grain of salt until you find a good reference, but I do recall reading about it in a fairly reliable source. That said, here in RI this bill is a "solution" in search of a problem. The derp is indeed strong.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby Uncle Duke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:19 am

Just the opposite happened in Cleveland last November when Tamir Rice painted over the orange cap on an Airsoft gun. Cleveland Police rolled up on him and shot him dead. Several robberies have occurred in NE Ohio in which perps painted over the orange caps on toy guns to make them look real. I haven't heard of anyone that had painted orange on their guns, but nothing would surprise me.

Uncle Duke

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby SirSqueeboo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:16 pm

newportri wrote:Maybe it is a big problem in Providence that criminals remove the orange plug on airsoft guns and rob banks with them since they look so realistic...

If that's the case, then they are defining a toy airsoft rifle as a firearm. I wonder how long until you'll need a blue card to buy one.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby RImike » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:43 pm

SirSqueeboo wrote:

If that's the case, then they are defining a toy airsoft rifle as a firearm. I wonder how long until you'll need a blue card to buy one.

A "firearm" is defined in 11-47-2:
(3) "Firearm" includes any machine gun, pistol, rifle, air rifle, air pistol, "blank gun," "BB gun," or other instrument from which steel or metal projectiles are propelled, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, except crossbows, recurve, compound, or longbows, and except instruments propelling projectiles which are designed or normally used for a primary purpose other than as a weapon. The frame or receiver of the weapon shall be construed as a firearm under the provisions of this section.
RImike

Postby newportri » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:49 am

Airsoft pistols shoots non metal projectiles so they are not considered a firearm. However, Newport has a town ordinance that says you can't shoot any gun even if it is a plastic projectile.
In Newport it's also illegal to walk with a loaded speargun in public.. I guess someone was shot by one....
newportri

Return to Current Legislation