2015: S743-Weapons on school grounds

Announcements about upcoming legislation in RI and nationally.

2015: S743-Weapons on school grounds

Postby newportri » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:19 pm

This will strike the exemption that allows permit holders under 11-47-11/18 to possess a firearm on school grounds.
If a school district decide they want to arm their teachers or hire a security firm, they will not be able to be armed.
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText15/SenateText15/S0743.pdf
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: 2015: S743-Weapons on school grounds

Postby RImike » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:42 pm

This is the epitome of gun control. It's not about guns, but people, and restricting law abiding people's rights through fear mongering and ignorance while criminals have a pass. That is how these politicians advance the anti-gun agenda.
RImike

Postby newportri » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:01 am

03/19/2015 Introduced, referred to Senate Judiciary
06/19/2015 Scheduled for hearing and/or consideration (06/23/2015)
newportri

Postby newportri » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 pm

newportri

Postby RImike » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:46 pm

How did it go? I just got back into the state and was following the twitter feeds, it appeared that Senator Archambault and Lombardi did us a solid and really questioned the issues at hand and put some pressure on those supporting the bill and countered with logic and reason.
RImike

Postby newportri » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 am

It was held.
newportri

Postby YKCOR1313 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:47 pm

I see that this has been held. Now does anyone know about a permit holder carrying on school grounds? It appears that it's legal under RI law, but is it legal under federal law? I always thought it was illegal to carry on school grounds even with a carry permit. I've never carried or plan to carry on school grounds, but I'm so confused right now and I don't understand any of this. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue.
YKCOR1313

Postby RImike » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:32 pm

YKCOR1313 wrote:I see that this has been held. Now does anyone know about a permit holder carrying on school grounds? It appears that it's legal under RI law, but is it legal under federal law? I always thought it was illegal to carry on school grounds even with a carry permit. I've never carried or plan to carry on school grounds, but I'm so confused right now and I don't understand any of this. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue.

There is a thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2384&p=14919&hilit=GFSZA#p14919
RImike

Postby MM2(SS) » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:59 am

Below is the section of the federal law which allows permit holders exempted by state law to posses firearms on school grounds. I have put the specific text in bold.

Title 18 USC Chapter 44 Section 922

(6) This subsection shall not apply with respect to any firearm manufactured in, imported into, or possessed in the United States before the date of the enactment of the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988.

(q)(1) The Congress finds and declares that—

(A) crime, particularly crime involving drugs and guns, is a pervasive, nationwide problem;

(B) crime at the local level is exacerbated by the interstate movement of drugs, guns, and criminal gangs;

(C) firearms and ammunition move easily in interstate commerce and have been found in increasing numbers in and around schools, as documented in numerous hearings in both the Committee on the Judiciary 3 the House of Representatives and the Committee on the Judiciary of the Senate;

(D) in fact, even before the sale of a firearm, the gun, its component parts, ammunition, and the raw materials from which they are made have considerably moved in interstate commerce;

(E) while criminals freely move from State to State, ordinary citizens and foreign visitors may fear to travel to or through certain parts of the country due to concern about violent crime and gun violence, and parents may decline to send their children to school for the same reason;

(F) the occurrence of violent crime in school zones has resulted in a decline in the quality of education in our country;

(G) this decline in the quality of education has an adverse impact on interstate commerce and the foreign commerce of the United States;

(H) States, localities, and school systems find it almost impossible to handle gun-related crime by themselves—even States, localities, and school systems that have made strong efforts to prevent, detect, and punish gun-related crime find their efforts unavailing due in part to the failure or inability of other States or localities to take strong measures; and

(I) the Congress has the power, under the interstate commerce clause and other provisions of the Constitution, to enact measures to ensure the integrity and safety of the Nation's schools by enactment of this subsection.

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Postby MM2(SS) » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:03 am

Below is the full text of RIGL 11-47-60 Possession of Firearms on School Grounds

§ 11-47-60 Possession of firearms on school grounds. – (a)(1) No person shall have in his or her possession any firearm or other weapons on school grounds.

(2) For the purposes of this section, "school grounds" means the property of a public or private elementary or secondary school or in those portions of any building, stadium, or other structure on school grounds which were, at the time of the violation, being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school in this state or while riding school provided transportation.

(3) Every person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than five (5) years, or shall be fined not less than five hundred dollars ($500) nor more than five thousand dollars ($5,000).

(4) Any juvenile adjudicated delinquent pursuant to this statute shall, in addition to whatever other penalties are imposed by the family court, lose his or her license to operate a motor vehicle for up to six (6) months. If the juvenile has not yet obtained the necessary age to obtain a license, the court may impose as part of its sentence a delay in his or her right to obtain the license when eligible to do so, for a period of up to six (6) months.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any person who shall be exempt pursuant to the provisions of §§ 11-47-9, 11-47-11, and 11-47-18 or to the following activities when the activities are officially recognized and sanctioned by the educational institution:

(1) Firearm instruction and/or safety courses;

(2) Government-sponsored military-related programs such as ROTC;

(3) Interscholastic shooting and/or marksmanship events;

(4) Military history and firearms collection courses and/or programs; and

(5) The use of blank guns in theatrical and/or athletic events.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to colleges, universities, or junior colleges.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1990, ch. 209, § 1; P.L. 1990, ch. 258, § 1; P.L. 1995, ch. 67, § 1.)
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Return to Current Legislation