Air rifle legal to shoot on own property

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Air rifle legal to shoot on own property

Postby Dirk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:27 am

Can you fire a pellet gun on your own property? I'm too lazy to start digging through 11-47.
Dirk

Re: Air rifle legal to shoot on own property

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:48 am

Assuming you've got an area safe enough for shooting an air gun, I'd treat that as a better to ask forgiveness than permission kind of things.
Uncle Fester

Postby newportri » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:07 pm

I would say No because 11-47-2 says:
(3) "Firearm" includes any machine gun, pistol, rifle, air rifle, air pistol, "blank gun," "BB gun," or other instrument from which steel or metal projectiles are propelled, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, except crossbows, recurve, compound, or longbows, and except instruments propelling projectiles which are designed or normally used for a primary purpose other than as a weapon. The frame or receiver of the weapon shall be construed as a firearm under the provisions of this section.

However, this will depend a little on what your "own property" is. If your property is large and don't live in a compact area then it would be OK to shoot it, but I don't know if this would apply to you.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby jcat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:00 pm

FWIW, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone outside the city of Providence (and maybe johnston) getting into trouble for shooting a pellet gun in their yard.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby RLS » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Sans local ordinances, you can shoot on your own land. We could debate "compact area", but since we are talking air rifles, I doubt many issues could be brought up if you are following all safety practices.

§ 11-47-50 Firing without landowner's permission – Firing in compact area. – (a) Every person, not being at the time under military duty, who shall discharge any firearm, "BB gun", or other contrivance arranged to discharge shot, bullets, arrows, darts, or other missiles within the compact part of any city or town, or who shall discharge a firearm or other contrivance elsewhere, except upon land owned or occupied by him or her or by permission of the owner or occupant of the land on or into which he or she may shoot
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby newportri » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:55 pm

I believe compact area would defined by the city or town you live in, but if your zoning is "residential" I think you would be considered a "compact area". I think there is a difference here what could be an "issue" or what is legal. I don't consider it legal to shoot a pellet gun in my own backyard since I live in a residential area. However, if your neighbors don't mind then it will most likely not be an issue. If you are involved with a local gun rights organization, testified against gun control bills, and have been a PIA with the local police with regards to your gun rights, then there might be a bigger chance that the LEO could give you a hard time... I am just saying..
newportri

Postby Dirk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:50 pm

newportri wrote:I believe compact area would defined by the city or town you live in, but if your zoning is "residential" I think you would be considered a "compact area". I think there is a difference here what could be an "issue" or what is legal. I don't consider it legal to shoot a pellet gun in my own backyard since I live in a residential area. However, if your neighbors don't mind then it will most likely not be an issue. If you are involved with a local gun rights organization, testified against gun control bills, and have been a PIA with the local police with regards to your gun rights, then there might be a bigger chance that the LEO could give you a hard time... I am just saying..

Your last point is what I was thinking. We have plenty of land but I'm pretty sure it's residential since we no longer get the farm tax exemption. No sense in risking trouble.
Dirk

Postby newportri » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:12 pm

What is the zoning of your property?
newportri

Postby RLS » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm

newportri wrote: I don't consider it legal to shoot a pellet gun in my own backyard since I live in a residential area. ..

Its not legal in your backyard because a town ordinance (Newport, RI) prohibits it.....
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby recruiter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Isn't a compact area defined as one w/in 500 feet of a dwelling ?
recruiter

Next

Return to RI Laws