Air rifle legal to shoot on own property

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Re: Air rifle legal to shoot on own property

Postby newportri » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm

RLS wrote:
newportri wrote: I don't consider it legal to shoot a pellet gun in my own backyard since I live in a residential area. ..

Its not legal in your backyard because a town ordinance (Newport, RI) prohibits it.....

I dont' think there is an ordinance in Newport that says you can't fire in a compact area, it is RIGL 11-47-50 that you quoted above.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby RLS » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:19 pm

I don't think we have a definition or case law. The above statute exempts bows at 250' from a dwelling, the 500' comes from the hunting regs if I'm not mistaken. All the arrest for this offense have been in the cities, but I have not followed if any were prosecuted.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby jcat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 pm

seems as though the question is not 'what is a compact area' or 'is it legal' but more 'are you on your anti-gun neighbor's s*** list' :lol:
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby tk421991 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 pm

jcat wrote:seems as though the question is not 'what is a compact area' or 'is it legal' but more 'are you on your anti-gun neighbor's s*** list' :lol:

Yes and No. It also depends on how you use the air rifle. When I lived in Chepachet, the family property was about a half acre. We would often shoot a pellet gun into the back yard. Because it was so quiet and we had a "decent" amount of property around us, I doubt the neighbors ever noticed. However if you live in a tripledecker in Pawtucket, and you're sniping out chipmunks while your neighbors are outside, they might not be so happy to see someone aiming a "gun" out of a window. But if you wait for night or when they're gone and you shoot a chipmunk in the back yard, no one knows unless you leave dead chipmunks around.

I think discretion is the name of this game. I wouldn't walk around with an air rifle on the property unless the property was out of sight. I also wouldn't aim out of a window that faced the street or another house. If you want to do some impromptu target practice, I would do it out of a back yard facing window and when no one is outside. I'd also not announce the fact that you're shooting air rifles (or for that matter, a gun owner) unless they see you doing it. Mum's the word.
tk421991

Postby cranston » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:01 am

I'd say depends on your town ordinances. For my city: https://www.municode.com/library/ri/cra ... PIAIGUPRXC

No person, except police officers in line of duty and military officers in line of duty, shall discharge any rifle, pistol or air gun loaded with ball, bullets or slug within the borders of the city.

I guess it depends on interpretation and enforcement as well...I've never had a problem using BB, airsoft, or pellet guns here.
cranston

Previous

Return to RI Laws