80 Percent AR Lower Receiver

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

80 Percent AR Lower Receiver

Postby shovel1966 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Hello,
I'm considering ordering an 80% complete (stripped) AR-15 lower receiver and finishing the machining myself. Has anyone else here done that recently? Are there any RI or local laws that my be against manufacturing my own Semi-auto? :?: Of course I would also want to be able to take it to my local outdoor range.
Shovel
shovel1966

Re: 80 Percent AR Lower Receiver

Postby SirSqueeboo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:44 pm

It's completely legal to manufacture firearms for your own use. You don't need to mark it or give it a serial number, although I would recommend it because most cops are completely ignorant of firearm laws.

I have one, just am waiting for access to a mill or drill press. I plan on doing my own 1911 down the road as well.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby shovel1966 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:44 am

Thanks. I was thinking that was the case, but wanted to ask for general consensus.
shovel1966

Postby Thib » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:27 pm

I am considering this as well. I'm assuming you would want to get it anodized and engraved before you mill it because it can be treated as just a hunk of metal, correct?
Thib

Postby SirSqueeboo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:41 am

Thib wrote:I am considering this as well. I'm assuming you would want to get it anodized and engraved before you mill it because it can be treated as just a hunk of metal, correct?

I'd do both after completing it, I wouldn't want to spend the money to have it finished and engraved only for me to mill it out wrong. I'd definitely get it anodized afterward, I wouldn't want bare metal.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby a1983 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:00 am

DON'T DO IT!!!

Seriously, I built an 80% lower. I didn't have a milling machine and did it on the drill press. Drill presses ARE NOT meant for side loading - my chuck actually fell out of the press.

To top it off, I had the spacing between the trigger and the hammer pin holes slightly off - this caused the safety to NOT work initially. I was able to bring it back into function through careful filing.

Honestly if you want to go the "DIY" route, build an AR from scratch with a finished receiver - you'll spend less, and have tools you can actually use in the future (action block, wrench, etc).

http://forum.cralri.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21&p=28263&hilit=80%25+lower#p28263
a1983

Postby newportri » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06 am

If you want to do it, get a milling machine.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:25 am

a1983 wrote:DON'T DO IT!!!

Seriously, I built an 80% lower. I didn't have a milling machine and did it on the drill press. Drill presses ARE NOT meant for side loading - my chuck actually fell out of the press.

To top it off, I had the spacing between the trigger and the hammer pin holes slightly off - this caused the safety to NOT work initially. I was able to bring it back into function through careful filing.

Honestly if you want to go the "DIY" route, build an AR from scratch with a finished receiver - you'll spend less, and have tools you can actually use in the future (action block, wrench, etc).

http://forum.cralri.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21&p=28263&hilit=80%25+lower#p28263

Having an "off the books" gun never hurts. ;)

Plus, if you're going for a clone look or want an entirely custom logo, then you don't want someone else's manufacturer and model marks on it.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

SirSqueeboo

Postby Thib » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:07 am

I want to do it "just because"...
Thib

Postby SirSqueeboo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:18 am

The key to using a drill press with it is not try to use it like a mill. What you want to do is drill dozens of holes in the FCG pocket, and then use the milling bit to connect the dots, if you will. You won't put that much stress on your press if it's only removing small bits of material .
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

SirSqueeboo

Next

Return to RI Laws