College Carry

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

College Carry

Postby tk421991 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 am

As you guys know, I'm working on applying for my carry permit and I'm a college student. I don't think I'll have my carry permit before I graduate CCRI, however I applied to transfer to RIC on Sunday. So, is it prudent and legal to concealed carry on a college campus? 11-47-60 says that the guns free school zone law doesn't apply to "colleges, universities, or junior colleges", which obviously applies to RIC and CCRI.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-60.HTM

11-47-60.2 also has an exception for college campuses. However, RIC bans all weapons and firearms by name unless you're a cop. So, what would be the appropriate response for a permit holder who is going to college? Don't carry on campus? Demand an exception and file suit if needed?

http://www.ric.edu/campussecurityreport/#11

Weapons, except those worn by law enforcement officers while on duty or used as part of an organized College-sanctioned event, are prohibited on campus or on any College-sponsored activity. A weapon is defined under the law as a firearm or a blackjack, slingshot, BB gun, pellet gun, metal knuckles, slap glove, bludgeon, stun-gun, any of the so called "Kung-Fu" weapons, dagger, dirk, stiletto, sword-in-cane, bowie knife, or other similar weapon designed to cut and stab another, or any razor, or knife of any description having a blade of more than three (3) inches in length measuring from the end of the handle where the blade is attached to the end of the blade, or other weapon of like kind or description.
tk421991

Re: College Carry

Postby newportri » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:28 pm

I don't think you would be convicted, but RIC would probably kick you out if they found out. That might not hold up in court, but I am not sure if you are willing to spend the time and money you are supposed to spend on college in legal fees instead. I believe there are some states that specifically allow CCW on State Campuses, but you might want to look into any case law where a student was kicked out even if he/she was legally carrying a firearm.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:29 am

As someone who was almost kicked out of their dorms for a stored paintball gun without CO2 or paint, I would not risk it. It's guaranteed expulsion.

For a few years I was the RI leader for concealedcampus.org, obviously we made no progress here.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby tk421991 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:45 am

I would either not attempt to carry whatsoever or I would ask for an exception and see where it goes, not carrying until I get an exception.
tk421991

Postby Dirk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 pm

i carried in grad school, in RI. It's not illegal, just against school policy.
Dirk

Return to RI Laws