Distilling?

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Re: Distilling?

Postby newportri » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:59 pm

tk421991 wrote:I can't stand beer, its the worst flavored thing to me in the world. I love whiskey, especially Irish whiskey, vodka is good, tequila is ok, wine I can pass on, and champagne is good.

But no beer. I tried making some before, it was interesting, but I just don't like the flavor.

Was that Russion beer you tried (you seem to like everything else Russion) :-)
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby jcat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 pm

in mother russia, beer drink YOU

I'd imagine the com-bloc beer offerings aren't very good...
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby tk421991 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:04 pm

jcat wrote:in mother russia, beer drink YOU

I'd imagine the com-bloc beer offerings aren't very good...

newportri wrote:Was that Russion beer you tried (you seem to like everything else Russion) :-)

No, but I have tried to make Imperial Stout. Russian vodka is good though, it tastes like burning rubbing alcohol. I have a bottle of Russian vodka in the cabinet.

tk421991

Postby RLS » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Every Russian I've ever spoken with about this topic calls it "wodka"
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby jcat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 pm

TK, have you ever done any modeling?

:lol:
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby tk421991 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Actually I look more like Quint now, got the hair, sideburns, and milsurp clothing. Also, I know in Polish, vodka is spelt "wodka", so I'm not surprised about the pronounciation.
tk421991

Postby n1bsbri » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:12 pm

RLS wrote:Every Russian I've ever spoken with about this topic calls it "wodka"

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby Uncle Duke » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:20 pm

tk421991 wrote:I was just wondering if it would be legally possible to set up a small pot still and operate from home for personal use, and the short answer is no. Not to mention the price of the equipment; sure I could weld some sheet metal together but it won't be very good tasting alcohol. I also wouldn't be able to walk into Dave's or S&S or Dino's and ask for a few hundred pounds of potatoes or barley or corn.

This'll be a project for later in life...

Federal laws do not permit distillation of alcohol for personal consumption in the U.S. Even distillation of alcohol for use as fuel requires a Basic Distillation Permit from BATFE and payment of a bond to cover taxation of any product that is produced. Prior to issuance of a permit, you will need to obtain zoning approval for siting of your distillation operation and proof of ownership or consent of the landlord. Forget about distilling in a residential area; no zoning commission will approve it and if they do, BATFE won't. You have to be ready to operate and have a still and all of your equipment ready to go when the BATFE agent from the Operations office comes to visit. This becomes a big gamble because you have no assurance of being granted a permit and may have sunk a sizable amount of money into your proposed operation and not get a permit. You would also need a permit to warehouse, blend, or bottle your distilled spirits and keep meticulous records of what is produced, what you did with the heads and tails from your run, and account for virtually every drop of alcohol produced. Once you get your permit, produce alcohol, and bottle it, you'll want to put a label on it. This will require prior approval of the Tax and Trade Bureau division of the U.S. Department of Treasury (known as a COLA-Certificate of Label Approval). Apart from federal government regulation, you will have to obtain permits from the state and your local government, pay taxes to the state on your product, file quarterly reports on production and disposition of alcohol, and obtain insurance for your building and equipment. Since your property will be bonded, you will have additional restrictions imposed which may not allow anyone but a bona fide employee in the warehouse or area where the distilling operation occurs.

A license for an experimental still can be obtained which may preclude jumping through a number of hoops, however, these are issued for a limited amount of time (hence, experimental) and would not allow you to distill for personal consumption

I have provided guidance and financial assistance to start-up of a few craft distilleries. Licensing and legal operation of a distillery, even one that uses a small 10-15 gallon pot still can cost you over $20,000 even if you own the building and property where the still is sited. My advice is still to home beer making or wine making. It is legal in most areas and not subject to restrictions, provided that you produce 200 gallons or less and are not in the business of selling your product.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:01 pm

It's not quite the same as distilling your own, but you can buy cask strength neutral grain spirits and then age them yourself. Buffalo Trace sells a couple of them. They have a higher ABV than aged whiskey. You get some of that, get yourself (or make yourself) a small wood barrel, and age it yourself. The age time takes a lot less too since the barrel is much smaller and there's more surface area contact with the liquid inside. If I remember hearing it right a month is about equivalent to a year in a full sized barrel.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/ ... hite-dog#0

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/ ... hite-dog#1

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/ ... hite-dog#2
Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Duke » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Not really neutral spirits, it's actually an unaged whiskey. Neutral spirits are more along the line of vodka or gin and have been rectified to a higher proof. There are a number of barrel suppliers were you can get charred barrels, including those previously used for storing whiskey. Go to the website for Tuthilltown or Hudson Whiskey. They sell a variety of used barrel sizes. Lehman's is also another option. If you're daring and want to experiment, you could do a pressure aged whiskey like Tom Lix of Cleveland Whiskey. Instead of putting the whiskey in a barrel and relying on nature to make the barrel expand and contract and draw in whiskey and release the tannins and fusel oils (and give your whiskey color and flavor), you could put pieces of oak from your local wine making supply with your unaged whiskey in your pressure cooker and pressurize and release several times over the course of a month.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Previous

Return to RI Laws