RI Court say 30 days enough time to process CCW application

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

RI Court say 30 days enough time to process CCW application

Postby newportri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:27 am

I found out today that there was a case in 2009 in Rhode Island Superior court (Gillette v Esserman) where the judge said 45 days was sufficient time to develop an application. He further stated that 30 days should be sufficient time to process an application. This is very good news to us, and I wish I had known this before....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: RI Court say 30 days enough time to process CCW applicat

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:38 am

I believe Matt didn't even apply for the permit after the ruling.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby RLS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Point being?
Mosby didn't apply again in RI either (I know he lost his case), but the Supreme court said he was entitled to a permit from any city or town in RI. I view Charles as not fully following through on what he viewed as a deprivation of his rights. It might be the fault of poor counsel as most people aren't versed in the firearms act, especially noon residents. We got some good case law from the case, but if the Supreme court said that to me, I would pick the most anti town in RI and apply, when they balked I would go back before the court and request a mandamus. This thought process probably never entered his mind, but several gun rights groups backed him and I don't know if they urged him to do this or not. This is an example where communicating with gun rights groups could pay dividends.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby tk421991 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:48 pm

RLS wrote:...but if the Supreme court said that to me, I would pick the most anti town in RI and apply, when they balked I would go back before the court and request a mandamus. This thought process probably never entered his mind, but several gun rights groups backed him and I don't know if they urged him to do this or not. This is an example where communicating with gun rights groups could pay dividends.

Shame we don't have any non-residents of RI that could apply on Block Island.
tk421991

Postby RLS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Why Block Island? The chief said he would entertain any request for a permit.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:08 pm

Roger, I was just saying its a shame that after all the effort he put in that he couldn't enjoy the fruits of his labor.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:09 pm

tk421991 wrote:
RLS wrote:...but if the Supreme court said that to me, I would pick the most anti town in RI and apply, when they balked I would go back before the court and request a mandamus. This thought process probably never entered his mind, but several gun rights groups backed him and I don't know if they urged him to do this or not. This is an example where communicating with gun rights groups could pay dividends.

Shame we don't have any non-residents of RI that could apply on Block Island.

Hello.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

SirSqueeboo

Postby newportri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Do you not have a RI permit already?
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:52 pm

newportri wrote:Do you not have a RI permit already?

Withdrew AG app after offered range permit.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

SirSqueeboo

Postby newportri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:55 pm

A permit with a range restriction is just as valid as one without a restriction.
I assume you have a TX permit, right?
newportri

Next

Return to RI Laws