RI Court say 30 days enough time to process CCW application

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Re: RI Court say 30 days enough time to process CCW applicat

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:17 pm

newportri wrote:A permit with a range restriction is just as valid as one without a restriction.
I assume you have a TX permit, right?

Now that I think about it I might have been denied, been so long I don't remember. Is there a way for me to find out?

Haven't gotten my TX permit, way too expensive (class costs from 100-150 license app costs 140), I carry on my Utah ccw.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby RLS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:22 pm

I specifically told the AG I was not interested in a restricted permit and would treat such as a partial denial. I doubt this has any affect on his decision, but I was actually looking for a denial to press for a suit. It is my contention parts of Mosby would be ruled invalid in a post Heller world. A range restriction is even more of a reason a partial denial looks better because a permit isn't needed for such and has puzzled at least one lower court judge.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:42 pm

SirSqueeboo wrote:
newportri wrote:A permit with a range restriction is just as valid as one without a restriction.
I assume you have a TX permit, right?

Now that I think about it I might have been denied, been so long I don't remember. Is there a way for me to find out?

Haven't gotten my TX permit, way too expensive (class costs from 100-150 license app costs 140), I carry on my Utah ccw.

You should find out whether you have a denial on your record. Most places ask on their permit applications if you have ever been denied for a permit. Once you have a denial, you are branded for life.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby RLS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:11 pm

n1bsbri wrote: Once you have a denial, you are branded for life.

We always hear this fear which drives unscrupulous issuing authorities (most of RI) to use this to offer a withdrawal. It also keeps people from applying. Do you have any specific data or information which proves a denial from a "may, discretionary" issuing authority keeps you from getting a permit in another jurisdiction?
Answering yes to being arrested, having mental health issues, having a conviction does not disqualify one from a permit. It depends on the background information on these issues. Being denied a permit from NY or NJ likely carries zero weight in TX or FL or UT, or most other jurisdictions. Since their is not statutory requirements for background checks in RI, we should consider ourselves lucky we have any recognition at all.
I must be a fool then because I have welcomed a denial, local or AG, to attempt to set case law. Unless we are aggrieved, we will never move forward, and a denial may very well be the catalyst we need.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:25 pm

RLS wrote:
Do you have any specific data or information which proves a denial from a "may, discretionary" issuing authority keeps you from getting a permit in another jurisdiction?

No, I agree it probably doesn't make much difference in the "free" states. But you still have to list each denial every damn time you do an application, for the rest of your life. That's why I was suggesting that Squeeboo might want to find out if he has a denial on his record before applying someplace else. You don't want them to find out first.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:43 pm

n1bsbri wrote:
RLS wrote:
Do you have any specific data or information which proves a denial from a "may, discretionary" issuing authority keeps you from getting a permit in another jurisdiction?

No, I agree it probably doesn't make much difference in the "free" states. But you still have to list each denial every damn time you do an application, for the rest of your life. That's why I was suggesting that Squeeboo might want to find out if he has a denial on his record before applying someplace else. You don't want them to find out first.

Texas doesn't give a damn, but if I were to re-apply in ri, how do I find out what happened with my AG app? It was back in 2005-2006, my memory isn't that good. :lol:
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby RLS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:43 pm

There is a solid reason behind why they ask, the local authority may have some information on you which justified the denial, but would not be listed in a local or federal database.
RLS

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:05 pm

SirSqueeboo wrote:Texas doesn't give a damn, but if I were to re-apply in ri, how do I find out what happened with my AG app? It was back in 2005-2006, my memory isn't that good. :lol:

The only place I can think of that would have that information is the RI AG's office. The AG probably keeps the pile of denied applications right on his desk so he can fondle them any time he needs his mood lifted.
n1bsbri

Postby RLS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:12 pm

I would agree, if the issuing authority can't tell you, then the answer is no.......how will they be able to tell others.
RLS

Postby tk421991 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:18 pm

You can try the BCI Division of the AG's Office, but I bet that they have little to no record of your previous application. Or you could physically go down there and be patient and polite before you return to TX and ask.

The BCI Division doesn't leave papers hanging around, so they might have a digital copy. But I didn't work in BCI, so don't take my word too seriously.
tk421991

PreviousNext

Return to RI Laws