RI Court say 30 days enough time to process CCW application

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Re: RI Court say 30 days enough time to process CCW applicat

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:23 pm

If you ask at the AG's office, and they don't know the disposition of your application, I think you are safe to assume they won't report it denied. I guess it would be even better if you get your request and their answer in writing, but we might be over thinking it.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:38 pm

SirSqueeboo wrote:Texas doesn't give a damn, but if I were to re-apply in ri, how do I find out what happened with my AG app? It was back in 2005-2006, my memory isn't that good. :lol:

Careful, they might consider you mentally ill if you cannot remember this...

If you request anything from the AG, make sure it is in writing, and if it was a denial, make sure they say why you were denied.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby RLS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:08 pm

I can answer the why................does not demonstrate need.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby newportri » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:36 am

.... or that the application was "incomplete"....
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 am

RLS wrote:I can answer the why................does not demonstrate need.

It was something like can't prove need. I couldn't convince the guy I met with that I couldn't bypass the ghetto of south providence on foot. At the time I was working second shift at women and infants and lived on federal hill. To get home I had to walk through Lockwood projects and cross broad st

I almost got jumped a few times but because I didn't file a police report it didn't count.

I just don't remember what happened after that.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby newportri » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Examples like this is exactly why we don't want the AG to be the only licensing authority if he is May Issue.
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:42 pm

newportri wrote:Examples like this is exactly why we don't want the AG to be the only licensing authority if he is May Issue.

Well, the North Kingstown Chief helpfully explained that he treats the shall-issue permit process like may-issue. So there's an uphill battle that way too in some cases.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby RLS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Brings up an interesting thought. If we win the lawsuit and self defense is ruled a legitimate reason for a permit, will it be considered a need or not. Is self defense a "need"? We know 11-47-11 has fear of life or injury to persons or property as a reason to issue, and to me this is nothing more than self defense. The hitch is the AG also issues for self defense, but only after your life has been threatened and even then you have to prove it. Maybe this ruling will take some of the defining of need away from the AG. He still will have wide latitude to deny and could deny for a legitimate reason of self defense he does it all the time. This would shift the balance of what the AG claims are legitimate denials to denying just because he can. Although this is of little help to get permits issued, it will be a different song he sings in front of the legislature. Speaking of which, isn't the annual report due in January?
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby newportri » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:29 pm

What report? The permitting report?
newportri

Postby tk421991 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Couple points:

1. I was talking to someone a couple days ago and they pointed out that Moseby v. Devine stated that the only reason why the AG permitting system is constitutional is because we have the "shall issue" town permits. Can I get a yes or no? I'm going to give that a second read.

2. The AG already recognizes self defense as a "need", but they couch it in the term "defense of self and property", which to them means that something has to happen before you can claim self defense and get a permit. Even if case law is established that self defense is a reasonable "need", I think the AG is going to find a way around that, like they do now.
tk421991

PreviousNext

Return to RI Laws