Need Help With Legal Question

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Need Help With Legal Question

Postby Matthew92174 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:28 am

I'm a Massachusetts resident with an unrestricted Class A large capacity license to carry. I'll be moving to RI for a short period of time, probably 5 months max, and then moving back to Massachusetts. What are my options for maintaining possession of my 2 handguns and a rifle? I know I cannot carry them, but am I O.K. to transport them and possess them in RI, albeit unloaded and locked in an apartment.

I do have the ability to leave them with someone I trust in MA who owns a safe as a last resort.

Thanks for your assistance
Matthew92174

Re: Need Help With Legal Question

Postby n1bsbri » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:43 am

Matthew92174 wrote:I'm a Massachusetts resident with an unrestricted Class A large capacity license to carry. I'll be moving to RI for a short period of time, probably 5 months max, and then moving back to Massachusetts. What are my options for maintaining possession of my 2 handguns and a rifle? I know I cannot carry them, but am I O.K. to transport them and possess them in RI, albeit unloaded and locked in an apartment.

I do have the ability to leave them with someone I trust in MA who owns a safe as a last resort.

Thanks for your assistance

You can transport them to your new home in RI, and keep them there. You can also transport them back and forth to the range. You are not required to keep them locked and unloaded, use your judgement on storage and keep them safely.

Refer to the statutes for the specific transport requirements.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/index.htm
§ 11-47-8 and
§ 11-47-10
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Re: Need Help With Legal Question

Postby newportri » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:14 am

You should be OK to possess them in RI as n1bsbri stated since I assume they are not NFA/Class 3 firearms.
Will your MA permit still be valid in MA?

Make sure you change residency to RI and buy as many guns as you can that you cannot get in MA. From what I understand you can bring those back with you to MA when you move back.

Where in RI will you be moving to? Are you planning on getting a RI permit as well?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to RI Laws