Rhode Island Prohibited Carry Conceal location list

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Re: Rhode Island Prohibited Carry Conceal location list

Postby Dirk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:20 am

I carried in grad school. Not illegal with a permit.
Dirk

Postby Mddb83 » Sat May 24, 2014 3:03 am

I know you can't carry in federal buildings, but is there anything preventing you from carrying in state/local government buildings? i.e. if you're at the DMV or city hall or anything?
Mddb83

Postby newportri » Sat May 24, 2014 3:12 am

You can carry in state and local buildings. There is no law against carrying at the State House either, but you probably won't get passed security though. I have seen some of the legislators carry at the State House, but they make the rest check their firearms with the State Police.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Mddb83 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:21 am

Good to know - thanks.
Mddb83

Postby Sith Lord » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:57 am

With a permit you can carry on school grounds. RIGL 11-47-60(b) states that "The provisions of this section shall not apply to any person who shall be exempt pursuant to the provisions of §§ 11-47-9, 11-47-11, and 11-47-18..." So if you have a pistol permit (ccw) you are exempt from RIGL 11-47-60 and therefore can carry concealed on school grounds.
Sith Lord

Postby YKCOR1313 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Does anyone know if someone with a RI carry permit is allowed to carry in any hospitals in RI. I've been to several hospitals and I've never seen a sign posted saying that firearms are banned. I didn't ask anyone at the hospital because they would most likely come up with a sign to ban all firearms. I think that if you carried concealed that no one should even know that you have a firearm on your person, but I wanted to be sure it's legal.
YKCOR1313

Postby jcat » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Sith Lord wrote:With a permit you can carry on school grounds. RIGL 11-47-60(b) states that "The provisions of this section shall not apply to any person who shall be exempt pursuant to the provisions of §§ 11-47-9, 11-47-11, and 11-47-18..." So if you have a pistol permit (ccw) you are exempt from RIGL 11-47-60 and therefore can carry concealed on school grounds.

The only thing with this is I thought I read somewhere you needed permission from the principal of the elementary or secondary education facility...can't find it now though.

YKCOR1313 wrote:Does anyone know if someone with a RI carry permit is allowed to carry in any hospitals in RI. I've been to several hospitals and I've never seen a sign posted saying that firearms are banned. I didn't ask anyone at the hospital because they would most likely come up with a sign to ban all firearms. I think that if you carried concealed that no one should even know that you have a firearm on your person, but I wanted to be sure it's legal.

I've wondered this also. I never really got a 100% answer to this, but I have been unable to find anything in the statutes that says it's illegal to do so. Majority of the hospitals have a 'no gun' sign/policy but as far as I'm aware that has no legal standing and all they can do is ask you to leave. Concealed is concealed, but with the volume of police officers constantly in and out of most of the hospitals in this state, even inadvertent exposure might be enough to at least get you severely hassled.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby newportri » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:53 am

I guess the worst the hospital can do is ask you to leave. If they see your gun, then you are not concealing it well enough. If it is a life or death situation you are there for, it is probably not worth arguing over ;-)
A few years ago a projo janitor brought a gun to work and it fell out of a bag. Antigun as the Projo is, they promptly fired the poor guy. I believe the police was involved, but no charges were filed that I can remember.
newportri

Postby RImike » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:51 pm

newportri wrote:You can carry in state and local buildings. There is no law against carrying at the State House either, but you probably won't get passed security though. I have seen some of the legislators carry at the State House, but they make the rest check their firearms with the State Police.

This has since changed, now they won't allow anyone to check their firearms. I can't find any state laws regarding to this, when I talked to Capitol Police, I was informed that it was a "policy" so I filled a FOIA request seeking the policy and the legality of it under state law. I will report back with my findings of the report.
RImike

Postby newportri » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:26 pm

I don't think it is a good idea to do this. You might win the battle, but you will lose the war and we might soon see bills introduced with lists of places you can't carry (including the State House).
newportri

PreviousNext

Return to RI Laws