Rhode Island Prohibited Carry Conceal location list

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Re: Rhode Island Prohibited Carry Conceal location list

Postby RImike » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:29 pm

newportri wrote:I don't think it is a good idea to do this. You might win the battle, but you will lose the war and we might soon see bills introduced with lists of places you can't carry (including the State House).

So it doesn't bother you that the agency is acting beyond their capacity of the law, essentially creating de facto laws? What is to stop other branches of the government from doing the same because they feel as if they can get away with it? What is to stop them from preventing the exercise of other rights? I agree with picking and choosing battles, but what is the harm in asking a question? I we become so fearful of asking questions that might have an adverse effect, then they already have won and we have lost not only our rights, but our own existence.

Newport, you offer conflicting statements, in the past you have hailed 11-47-11 and the "everywhere" word of it in the "Group targeting 11-47-11 "loophole" thread yet now because a police organization is questioned it is hands off? The last I checked, the statehouse is inside RI and thus part of "everywhere" as well.
RImike

Postby newportri » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:06 pm

It does bother me that they do this, but I am not too worried that other branches of government will do the same since it is the only place I know of where you have to go through a metal detector to enter a building (other than Airports and maybe federal buildings). A sign at the DMV saying "NO FIREARMS" would not prevent me from entering if I knew I was doing it legally. They won't let you in anyway and you would have to sue them. If you go to court over this you would most likely win with the current laws we have in RI, but I think it would be easy for the State Police to go to the legislators and ask them to change the law so that they could legally do it. At the same time they might throw in other off limit places and I don't want to go down this road.

I don't see this as conflicting statements because this is a police organization (I have questioned more police departments about their policies than most people in RI), but it has to do with "where" this policy is in place (the people who go there makes the laws..). It even bothered me before that I couldn't carry INSIDE the State House for the same reason that you have that you can't check the firearm, I just don't think it is a war you will win and you could end up losing a lot.

Even if the allow you to check the firearm at the entrance, I don't really think you have gained much since you couldn't carry inside the State before anyway.

Good luck and let us know what they say.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:50 pm

newportri, fyi Providence Police has metal detectors at entrance to Providence Public Safety, and they don't allow weapons in the building.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Some of you are probably on the RI2nd mailing list and have seen this, but I am posting it here for those who are not.
Hello everyone! I was asked by Lieutenant Joe Habershaw of the Capital Police to forward his email to everyone in the 2a community. There is a change in there policy when entering the State House! The Lieutenant and his officers are always generous to us when we have a rally or when we are just there to testify please send the word out on there changes.

Good Afternoon

My name is Joseph Habershaw and I am a Lieutenant with the Rhode Island Capitol Police and I am assigned to the Rhode Island State House. We are now in our legislative session and the General Assembly will be conducting hearings about firearms legislation. There will also be rallies for and against firearm legislation.

I would like some assistance from you and your membership in getting information out to those who wish to come to the Rhode Island State House and address their legislature.

First of all their are no knives, multi tools, or any other similar objects allowed in the State House. In the past when someone came in with a legal length knife we would hold it for them and return it when they left. We no longer provide this service. If anyone enters the State House with a knife, tool, etc., they will be asked to return the item to their vehicle or secure it somewhere outside the building. We will not hold them.

Secondly, there are no firearms allowed in the State House. I have recently been contacted by some people who have concealed carry permits in the State of Rhode Island. They are under the impression that the law allows them to carry anywhere in the state, including the State House. This is incorrect. Firearms are not allowed in the State House and we do not provide lockers for people to secure them in. If you enter the State House with a legally owned firearm you will be given an opportunity to secure it off premises and then return to address your state government.

I look forward to a safe and productive legislative session and I hope to meet enthusiasts who enter the State House.

Thank you for your time.

It is no surprise they don't mention what law says you can't carry at the State House... I also find it interesting that they will rather make us leave our firearms in a dark allay/parking lot in Providence than secure it with the Capitol Police, after all they make it sound like the streets in Providence are flooded with stolen firearms..
newportri

Postby Blast54 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:21 pm

First of all their are no knives

That is what I find interesting and so common with our "educated" state employees. It is "there" not "their". It might seem minor but when you are on the state payroll in a supervisory position ( degree mandated? ) you should at least be capable of putting out correspondence without butchering the English language.

Rant off
Lurk on
Blast54

Postby newportri » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Basic writing skills are not a requirement to be in charge of the security of the General Assembly and State House..
newportri

Postby RImike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:04 pm

They are under the impression that the law allows them to carry anywhere in the state, including the State House.

I am not under the impression, 11-47-11 quite simply informs me that it is.
RImike

Previous

Return to RI Laws