AOW in Rhode Island

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

AOW in Rhode Island

Postby newportri » Tue May 27, 2014 3:08 am

I know that sawed off shotguns/rifles, machine guns, and silencers are banned in RI, but what about 'other' AOW such as wallet and pen guns? I understand these would still require a ATF tax stamp (I think this is $5) and I don't remember seeing anything in RI that would prohibit anyone from owning one.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: AOW in Rhode Island

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue May 27, 2014 3:16 am

$200 to Form 1 it (Make/Convert it yourself)

-or-

$5 transfer cost to Form 4 it (Pay Class 3 manufacturer to do it for you). But with that you're looking at the SOT charging for the service and then their own $100-200 NFA transfer fee on top of the $5 ATF transfer.

Now because it's RI you'll want to have a bombproof NFA specific trust written, because there's no way in hell a police chief will sign a form.

So you're looking at $300-500 for the trust, about $40-60 for the engraving, $200 for a Form 1 stamp, and a 9-14 month wait to see if it even gets approved.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby newportri » Tue May 27, 2014 2:05 pm

This is what got me started on this since I just thought it would be cool to have although it wouldn't really have much practical use.
http://shadowopsweaponry.com/products/174-pen-gun-22-caliber-single-shot.aspx

So it is only $5 if you only have a trust set up, is that correct? If you have a trust you can add multiple firearms, right?

If I set up a trust, do I still need the Chief to sign it? I thought there was some changes to this recently, but I am not sure if it happened.

The first option you list ($200), is that what requires the Chief to sign the form and it would only be good for one gun?
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Wed May 28, 2014 3:58 pm

newportri wrote:This is what got me started on this since I just thought it would be cool to have although it wouldn't really have much practical use.
http://shadowopsweaponry.com/products/174-pen-gun-22-caliber-single-shot.aspx

So it is only $5 if you only have a trust set up, is that correct? If you have a trust you can add multiple firearms, right?

If I set up a trust, do I still need the Chief to sign it? I thought there was some changes to this recently, but I am not sure if it happened.

The first option you list ($200), is that what requires the Chief to sign the form and it would only be good for one gun?

The only thing a trust does is prevent you from getting finger printed, getting a set of passport photos, and then begging the chief for permission.

The $200 Form 1 is only if you were to create the AOW yourself, and yes it's for each gun. If you were to buy or make 3 the same day without a trust you'd need 3 sets of fingerprints and 3 sets of passport photos, and 3 checks.

To purchase it, here's the process:

Step 1) Buy the AOW.
Step 2) Store fills out a $0.00 Form 3 to allow a store to store transfer to an NFA dealer in RI.
Step 3) Wait 3-6 weeks for Form 3 to be approved.
Step 4) RI dealer gets it and has you fill out a $5.00 Form 4.
Step 5) Wait 9-14 months to see if it is approved.
Step 6) (If approved) Pay NFA transfer fee which is usually over $100.
Step 7) Walk out and hope you don't get arrested.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby newportri » Thu May 29, 2014 1:58 am

What a PIA.... I would do it for a MG, but it is definitely not worth it for a $500 pen gun...
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Thu May 29, 2014 4:46 am

newportri wrote:What a PIA.... I would do it for a MG, but it is definitely not worth it for a $500 pen gun...

Welcome to the world of true ATF bureaucracy.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

SirSqueeboo

Return to RI Laws