Shooting on my back 40

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Shooting on my back 40

Postby _KJ_ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:35 am

Can I shoot on my property or family's propery as long as I'm compliant with the distance from roads, homes and public areas requirement? Specifically, in the extreme West of the state? Thanks.
_KJ_

Re: Shooting on my back 40

Postby newportri » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:51 am

I believe the discharge zone is 500' from a dwelling (State law). State Law also prohibits you from firing in a "compact area" and I think that is defined by your local zoning.
There might be other local zoning ordinances as well that you have to look into.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:34 pm

I shoot in back of my house, it backs up to 1000 acres of woods, and I'm shooting into the side of a hill. I maintain the conditions outlined by newportri above. Because I have neighbors nearby on the front side of the property, I usually restrict myself to .22LR, but I have shot my AR out there. My next door neighbor shoots his AR out back all the time, but he doesn't have as many neighbors directly around him as I do.

I think if you have those sort of conditions available it should be no problem, particularly in those more gun-friendly towns in the western part of the state.

By the way, I did not ask permission from the town or police. I'm fairly sure I'm not doing anything illegal or wrong, and I haven't had any problems in the four years I've been shooting out back.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby jcat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 pm

n1bsbri wrote:I shoot in back of my house, it backs up to 1000 acres of woods, and I'm shooting into the side of a hill. I maintain the conditions outlined by newportri above. Because I have neighbors nearby on the front side of the property, I usually restrict myself to .22LR, but I have shot my AR out there. My next door neighbor shoots his AR out back all the time, but he doesn't have as many neighbors directly around him as I do.

I think if you have those sort of conditions available it should be no problem, particularly in those more gun-friendly towns in the western part of the state.

By the way, I did not ask permission from the town or police. I'm fairly sure I'm not doing anything illegal or wrong, and I haven't had any problems in the four years I've been shooting out back.

Dude...you shoot into the 1000 acre woods!?!? What are you gonna do if you hit Christopher Robin, or Winney, or Tigger?!?! :o

All joking aside, I recall the statute says at least 500' in any direction from the closest dwelling (even your own) and you have to be shooting into a backstop that's at least 10' h x 10' w x 10' d. Shooting into a hillside obviously satisfies that. If you don't have a hill, a correctly sized dirt mound would suffice.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:05 pm

In my case, I have lots of woods on the back side of my property. The next door neighbor who shoots his AR out back is 1000' down the road. However I have a neighbor on the other side 200' away, and a residential development across the street. Obviously I only shoot out back, 500' from my house.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:15 pm

I am not aware of any statute that dictates the size of the backstop so maybe you can show me where it is.
You should always be aware of where the bullet will impact beyond the target you are shooting at and I see even experienced shooters do this mistake. People should always "see through" the target and see where the bullet will impact. The biggest problem is when the target is not right at the backstop, but moved closer to the shooter. Depending on the shooting position (standing, kneeling, prone) and the target height the bullet will obviously change the point of impact and you might have to use different target stands. A lot of the time people are putting the targets too low so that the bullet hits the ground and can possibly ricochet above the backstop. We had an incident a few years ago at the old outdoor pistol range when we found several bullets that had skipped over the backstop. You could clearly see that the bottom half of the bullet had hit the ground (ppl putting targets too close to them and too close to the ground). A few days later the pistol pit was leveled with the ground... Also be aware of any rocks in the backstop.

§ 11-47-50 Firing without landowner's permission – Firing in compact area. – (a) Every person, not being at the time under military duty, who shall discharge any firearm, "BB gun", or other contrivance arranged to discharge shot, bullets, arrows, darts, or other missiles within the compact part of any city or town, or who shall discharge a firearm or other contrivance elsewhere, except upon land owned or occupied by him or her or by permission of the owner or occupant of the land on or into which he or she may shoot, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and shall be subject to a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500), or one year in prison, or both; provided, that any city or town may by ordinance permit the discharge on non-posted land.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the owner of land who uses, or who gives permission to another to use without charge, a recurve, compound or longbow, provided that they are not used within two hundred fifty feet (250') of a dwelling house.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-50.HTM

It seems like the discharge zone only applies to hunting, unless there is another statute that I am missing.
§ 20-13-7 Shooting in proximity to occupied buildings. – It is unlawful for any person while hunting or pursuing wild birds or wild animals in this state to shoot or discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon within five hundred feet (500') of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith, without the specific permission of the owner or tenant.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title20/20-13/20-13-7.HTM
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm from Providence, I don't know what 500' of land looks like.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 pm

SirSqueeboo wrote:I'm from Providence, I don't know what 500' of land looks like.

15th hole at Triggs? :lol:
n1bsbri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:08 am

n1bsbri wrote:
SirSqueeboo wrote:I'm from Providence, I don't know what 500' of land looks like.

15th hole at Triggs? :lol:

If you ever hear of "beach parties" at triggs, think of me and my younger days as an innovative and entrepreneurial days RIC student. :?
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby _KJ_ » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:37 pm

This is kind of old now but just curious, does anyone knoq if Foster has any such zoning restrictions? Id guess not and Im not real hot on calling the local PD and giving them my address Ill be shooting at.
_KJ_

Next

Return to RI Laws