Would you show ID if you were stopped by police if carrying?

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Would you show ID if you were stopped by police if carrying?

Postby newportri » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Under RI law you are not required to show any form of ID or ask answer any questions if you are stopped for questioning by the police. However, if a police officer correctly suspect you of carrying a firearm (lets make the assumption that you are licensed to carry) and demand to see ID and/or your Pistol Permit, would you show it? Since you know you have not violated any laws, you should know that you have the right to refuse both as RI doesn't even require you to carry the permit on your person. However, the police might argue that he won't know whether you are violating the law or not if you don't provide him some ID and a permit. My guess is that if you refuse, you would get arrested and charged, but the charges would be dropped in court since by then you will prove that you were legally carrying a firearm. Any thoughts?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: Would you show ID if you were stopped by police if carry

Postby JamesRI » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:52 pm

That is a tough one. On principle I would not want to show it as there is no law requiring me to show it, but since I have a family and the getting arrested and court and the disruption that it would cause to my life I probably would show it show. As a side note, one time while in college here in RI, I was at a bar and there was a raid for underage drinkers. The police wanted to see the ID's of everyone in the bar. I was a MA resident at the time and held a MA Class A LTC. This was the first photo ID I grabbed as the cops were being pushy about seeing an ID and quick. Well this caused a little stir I guess and the next thing three cops are huddled in the corner talking to each other and on their radios looking at my LTC. About 10 minutes later, one of the cops comes back over and asks my if I had a drivers license, I said sure hold on and handed it to him, he checked it, handed it and my LTC back and said next time just give me the Driver's License as it would make his job easier. :roll:

James
JamesRI

Re: Would you show ID if you were stopped by police if carry

Postby newportri » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:30 pm

I agree that the easy thing to do is to show ID, but I don't like my rights to be infringed upon.
I can't imagine cops requesting to see your ID at a bar being legal either, but most people in a situation like that (especially if you have just turned 21) are too drunk to think about what your rights are... I doubt the cops can demand to see your ID, but the bar owner/staff/bartender could ask you.
As a side note to your side note, I remember one time being pulled over a few years ago after having stopped by at the liquor store. My girlfriend was with me, and she is very petite, and he thought she was under aged (she was about 25 then I guess). When he saw her up close, he realized that she was over 21 and didn't ask to see her ID. I don't know if the law is any different when it comes to checking under aged drinkers, but I now feel the cop went to far by driving after me and pulling me over since I obviously didn't commit a traffic violation either.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to RI Laws