Archery laws

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

Archery laws

Postby Dirk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Just a quick question about archery. Can I shoot a bow in my yard. We've got enough land to do it safely but didn't know if there was any restrictions.
Dirk

Re: Archery laws

Postby RLS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 am

None that I can find, bows are not considered firearms by definition in the statutes.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Re: Archery laws

Postby newportri » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:32 pm

I don't know of any state law that restricts that but you might want to check your town ordinances. I know Newport has an ordinance that says you cannot shoot a bow, unless you are a member of an archery club. It doesn't say that you have to be on the club property though, just that you have to be a member...
I think even airsoft is prohibited in Newport... State law defines firearms as something that shoots a metal projectile. However, the Newport ordinance says pretty much any projectile I believe. Since airsoft is not considered a firearm the State per emption does not apply so I would think the ordinance is legal.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to RI Laws