With all this talk of registration....11-47-41

This forum will contain a listing and summary of current RI laws.

With all this talk of registration....11-47-41

Postby jcat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Now, as I was looking through 11-47 for other reasons, I stumbled across 11-47-41. It's easy to see these legislators have no idea what they're talking about and nothing they say can help the problem that they're trying to solve...but do they know it's, in fact and according to state law, illegal for them to even try?

§ 11-47-41 Government firearm registration prohibited. – No government agency of this state or its political subdivisions shall keep or cause to be kept any list or register of privately owned firearms or any list or register of the owners of those firearms; provided, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to firearms which have been used in committing any crime of violence, nor to any person who has been convicted of a crime of violence.

What do you guys make of this? Should we remind these idiots?
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Re: With all this talk of registration....11-47-41

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Maybe you missed this part?

“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby jcat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:30 pm

n1bsbri wrote:Maybe you missed this part?

Apparently...but if that section is already passed as law, isn't it therefore illegal to even come up with and try to enact legislation against it?

And if so, how do we go about filing charges?
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 pm

I don't know if I'm following you jcat. The legislature MAKES the laws. The first two lines of the bill repeal 11-47-41 if passed.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby jcat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

n1bsbri wrote:I don't know if I'm following you jcat. The legislature MAKES the laws. The first two lines of the bill repeal 11-47-41 if passed.

Maybe it's because I don't fully understand the process. But it seems like, at least by the way us mere mortals are held to the law, that Rep. Finn is breaking existing law by introducing her legislation, even if it is aiming to repeal the existing law.

Obviously under the assumption that the existing, passed law trumps the proposed law. Unless that 'agency' keyword at the beginning of 41 is what allows her, as an individual, to do such a thing and not an 'agency' such as a police department or town government.
jcat

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 pm

New bills that are introduced, debated, and voted on can repeal and/or replace existing laws.
n1bsbri

Postby RLS » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 pm

How a Bill Becomes Law
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Genm ... bilaw.html

This is from the General Assembly website. I would hope this is taught in the schools, but since I did not go to school in RI, and my oldest child is only in 1st grade, I admit I don't know the cirriculum. I was taught Civics in high school, but it was Florida. I thinks its great you ask about these things because I sometimes take for granted that people know, and our main purpose here is to educate, which includes educating about how laws can be passed and our rights trampled.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby jcat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 am

RLS wrote:How a Bill Becomes Law
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Genm ... bilaw.html

This is from the General Assembly website. I would hope this is taught in the schools, but since I did not go to school in RI, and my oldest child is only in 1st grade, I admit I don't know the cirriculum. I was taught Civics in high school, but it was Florida. I thinks its great you ask about these things because I sometimes take for granted that people know, and our main purpose here is to educate, which includes educating about how laws can be passed and our rights trampled.

Oh I'm sure I learned it at one point or another in school. I just don't know that I ever had enough of an interest in politics to really commit it to memory. Dah well, wishful thinking haha
jcat

Postby RLS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:03 am

Well, even if you learned it, the pols change this thing yearly and even suspend the rules late in the session, so even the rules are only guidelines.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Postby bluzjamer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:01 am

So sad it seems free America is disappearing. I shake my head at all that is going on. You just have to look at History and all that has happened in the past to see what is taking place here. Nazi Germany, China, Russia, N Korea, Bosnia, Syria. I think we are headed for another Revolution if this keeps up, not just the guns but all aspects of this administration. To create anarchy you first must disarm the people. This is what happens when people don't know who and what they are voting for or just don't vote. People vote the same bums in time adfter time regardless of how poor they perform.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
2nd Amedment Foundation Member
NRA-ILA
National Association for Gun Rights
CRAL member
GOA member
RI 2nd Amendment Coalition supporter
RIFOL mem & supporter
bluzjamer

Next

Return to RI Laws