Firearm Response Letter

Post information about upcoming elections, tea parties, etc.

Firearm Response Letter

Postby RLS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:31 am

We have started to track our Senators and Representatives relative to their position on the "gun bills" introduced into the General Assembly.
In order to track the responses, we ask you post them here or email them to info@rifol.org.
We have the word file available to all who want it, and will update it as information becomes available.

Revision date: May 28, 2013
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Re: Firearm Response Letter

Postby MM2(SS) » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 am

They are both the same list.
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Postby RLS » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:50 pm

fixed thanks
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it." - Senator Dianne Feinstein
RLS

Response from Rep. Serpa

Postby jcat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Having moved from EG to West Warwick, my reps have changed. This is the response I received from Rep. Serpa after using Ruger's take action webpage:

Dear Mr. Catanzaro:

Thank you for emailing me about the proposed new gun laws. I am proud
to tell you that I have an "A" rating from the NRA. I earned this grade
after completing an extensive questionnaire during the most recent
election cycle. They asked me to state my opinions about the rights of
gun owners and rights afforded to all Americans by the 2nd Amendment.

I meet regularly with the state and national lobbyists from the NRA.
They told me yesterday that they will provide me with a "position paper"
on each of the bills that was proposed. I intend to use their positions
as a guide when voting on these bills.

Please be assured that I will protect your rights as a law-abiding
citizen because I feel strongly about the 2nd Amendment. I hope that I
will have your support in subsequent elections.

It is an honor to serve you. Please do not hesitate to contact me at
any time about any issue.

Sincerely,
Patricia A. Serpa
Representative District 27
West Warwick, Warwick, Coventry
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Re: Response from Rep. Serpa

Postby RLS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks, I'm moving this to the letters section and updating the word document file we have started on each Senator and Representative.
RLS

Re: Response from Rep. Serpa

Postby jcat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm

RLS wrote:Thanks, I'm moving this to the letters section and updating the word document file we have started on each Senator and Representative.

gotcha, I knew it was here somewhere but forgot where it was.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby jcat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 pm

After replying and thanking her for her hard work and offering my support, I received another response from Rep. Serpa within about 15 minutes or so:

Thank you, Mr. Catanzaro.

Help us to fight the good fight and we will definitely need your support. I expect that the “other side” will ramp up their efforts in the coming weeks to vote FOR this package of bills. I know that they may threaten to “expose” us as not caring for children, not caring about public safety, etc. I care about all of those things but they will try to put a negative spin on one’s position regarding the 2nd Amendment. It’s the “bad guys” and irresponsible gun owners who don’t care about kids, they don’t care about public safety and many, if not most of them, are already NOT law-abiding citizens. What makes anyone think that more laws will make them more law-abiding?!

In conversation with the NRA lobbyist, he did indicate that there were a couple of bills that they might be able to support. I think he mentioned more extensive screening for possible mental health issues before allowing someone to purchase a gun. He also had no problem with increasing the penalties for purchasing a gun for a minor. I am going to wait for something official from him and I’m hoping that he may even get that position paper to us today.

Thank you for your support and welcome to West Warwick!

Sincerely,

Patricia Serpa

I couldn't be happier...seems I moved to a pretty gun friendly district without even knowing it.
jcat

Postby jcat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Reply from Sen. Satchell pretty much says the same thing. It just gets better:

Good afternoon Mr. Catanzaro,

I want to let you know that I myself am a gun owner, gun enthusiast, and I am a recreational shooter. While I feel that some gun control reform is necessary, I assure you that I would not vote in favor of any legislation that I felt would limit our right to bear arms. Rather, reform needs focus on enforcing current gun laws, improving our mental health services, expanding the scope of background checks to include mental illness history, and I think that we must increase our efforts to get illegally purchased and owned weapons off the streets. Please feel free to contact me in the future with any others concerns, ideas, or interests. Have a great night!

Adam Satchell
Senator, District 9
West Warwick, RI
(401) 615-5170 Home

"I would be glad if it was felt that I have done something generally useful. I don't care much about personal fame or popularity. I would be satisfied with the feeling that I had a chance to help with something in general, something good. That history gave me that chance." -Vaclav Havel
jcat

Postby RLS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks jcat, I've updated the files. This is the kind of grassroots effort we need to figure out where folks sit on the issue. Now that we know what the issues are, the timing for this is critical. Previous we were writing, but the topics were of a general nature, now it is possible to nail folks down on specific views.
RLS

Postby newportri » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:05 am

Thanks to you who have already posted, but we need more people to call you Representatives and Senators now that the bills have been introduced. There are a number of bills, but I think the 3 most important bills are the following (but feel free to include other bills as well):
1. Assault Weapon Ban
2. Ban on high capacity magazines
3. Having the Attorney General being the only licensing authority
4. Gun registration

We need EVERYONE on this forum to contact both their Representative and Senator and ask them if they would vote for or against these bills and post back to us where they stand. We might not have a member to reach everyone at the State House, so when you have called your representative, please contact the other representatives in your town and county.

We do not have a lot of time, so please start calling. The phone numbers are attached in the this thread.

Thank you.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Next

Return to Elections & Activism