Do you support a constitutional convention poll

Post information about upcoming elections, tea parties, etc.

Do you support a constitutional convention?

No
60%
Yes
40%

Total votes : 5

Do you support a constitutional convention poll

Postby newportri » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:32 pm

One of the questions on the ballot (I believe it is question 3 for all of us) is you approve of a constitutional convention. I have heard that this could allow for line item veto for the governor when it comes to the State budget as well term limits. However, the question itself doesn't mention what they can or can not touch if a constitutional convention were to be held and who will decide what could be modified. I am all for term limits and line item veto, but Article 1, Section 22 (The Right to Keep and Bear Arms) is sacred to me and I don't want to give the legislators the opportunity to essentially nullify this and I am therefor against question 3 on the ballot:
3.CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION
(Section 2 of Article XIV of the Constitution)
Shall there be a convention to amend or revise the Constitution?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: Do you support a constitutional convention poll

Postby RImike » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:11 pm

I saw Dexter at Shaws a few weeks ago and had a talk with him about this. He made a very good point that when the progressive liberals are against something, it is a good thing. In this case, they are really against it. They claim individual women's rights and are partially correct, they however fail to mention that it will also gut the powers of the democratic party in RI by allowing the governor to have more power. The one thing to keep in mind is that if there was a Constitutional Convention, it isn't up to the legislators per-say, but rather elected delegates (which could be you, me or anyone).

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/RiCo ... n/C14.html

I hear you on article 22, and with out of state special interest groups pouring money into it, it is very well possible that it could get hi-jacked.
RImike

Re: Do you support a constitutional convention poll

Postby Thib » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:00 am

Just seems like one of those "can of worms" things to me.
Thib

Return to Elections & Activism