2014 Election

Post information about upcoming elections, tea parties, etc.

2014 Election

Postby newportri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 am

OK, so the final votes are trickling in and there are both good and bad news. The worst news is that Gina and Kilmartin won... It's a good thing the Governor doesn't have a lot of power, but she will probably do what she can to pass some anti gun legislation. I can't believe Healey got over 20% of the votes. Fung did better than I thought, and Gina did a lot worse than I thought..
On the positive side, Linda lost so we don't have to deal with her. Valencia also lost which is great news as well. It was a surprise to me that Donna Walsh lost (A+ rated Dem and a progressive liberal).
Both Doreen and Mike Chippendale won.
It was no surprise that our Senators/Representatives in Washington won, but still disappointing that we can't do better in RI...
Both Bob Johnson and Bill Monahan lost their seats on the Exeter TC, which is great news since they supported the permit resolution that caused the recall.
Tanzi won, so this is not good since she supported a lot of the gun bills although I don't think she really was pushing them and didn't know what she got herself into.
Cool Rumsey also lost so this is good news to us.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: 2014 Election

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:26 am

I agree newportri. The situation in the General Assembly is pretty darn good, all things considered. Overall, we got rid of some of our worst antagonists, and picked up a few 2A supporters.

Too bad about Fung. He was a really strong candidate, but we had a repeat of the John Robitaille / Ken Block scenario which gave us the reign of Linc Chaffee. I hope Fung runs again, he's got a real chance of winning if there's not a spoiler in the race.

All that being said, the Governor is not all that powerful anyway. Linc Chaffee wasn't able to cause us much trouble in the final analysis.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby Blast54 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:40 am

400 million on top of existing debt? Guess we aren't going to see any tax relief. Don't know what got into me buying a new truck and another motorcycle this year. My buddy in NC pays about one tenth of what it costs me to keep them registered...
Blast54

Postby BriansM4 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:58 am

n1bsbri wrote:I agree newportri. The situation in the General Assembly is pretty darn good, all things considered. Overall, we got rid of some of our worst antagonists, and picked up a few 2A supporters.

Too bad about Fung. He was a really strong candidate, but we had a repeat of the John Robitaille / Ken Block scenario which gave us the reign of Linc Chaffee. I hope Fung runs again, he's got a real chance of winning if there's not a spoiler in the race.

All that being said, the Governor is not all that powerful anyway. Linc Chaffee wasn't able to cause us much trouble in the final analysis.

I agree with you. The Speaker of the house has more Power that the wicked witch of the East, and the speaker has an A rating. Add Costa into the mix and I think we might be be okay. Then again the witch was able to get pension reform through.......I hope she has other priorities, I'm kinda sick of fighting the same battles
BriansM4

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 pm

BriansM4 wrote:
n1bsbri wrote:I agree newportri. The situation in the General Assembly is pretty darn good, all things considered. Overall, we got rid of some of our worst antagonists, and picked up a few 2A supporters.

I agree with you. The Speaker of the house has more Power that the wicked witch of the East, and the speaker has an A rating. Add Costa into the mix and I think we might be be okay. Then again the witch was able to get pension reform through.......I hope she has other priorities, I'm kinda sick of fighting the same battles

Hey, we got rid of Valencia, "Cool" Rumsey, and Finn, so it's not all bad. :D
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:25 pm

I would have liked to see the Governors of CT, NY, and CO be booted out because of their gun control stance, but as of right now it looks like they survived although they are still counting votes and they are all close races. MD governor was not re-elected.
newportri

Postby newportri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:22 pm

I think the AG race was very surprising... I don't think many can say Kilmartin has done a good job and I honestly didn't see/hear him campaign much either. Dawson was on air all the time, but I guess the voters didn't like his message. I guess most voters don't care about that having an AG who prosecutes criminals, or maybe they are criminals themselves.
I wonder if Dawson's promise to investigate 38 Studios hurt his campaign since I am sure a lot of people don't want to hear about it any longer. I sort of agree that we need to move on. We won't get the money back anyway. The whole EDC was handled poorly and most of the money shouldn't have gone to one company, but I don't think there is anything criminal in that though.
newportri

Postby Dirk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:49 am

So in the wake of Gina's "victory" with 40% of the vote we need to get better organized. I agree that our situation in the GA is better than it was two years ago, and the Finn, Valencia, Cool-Rumsey losses (among others) is a shot across the bow of any of the rural and suburban legislators, but we need to recruit more folks.
Most folks don't see all the things going on behind the scenes. Newportri and I spend quite a bit of time off the forum working with all of the 2A organizations throughout the state. So there are many things going on that most folks don't realize, but we need to get more gun owners involve. We are meeting with the Federated and will eventually be recruiting folks to help us out. For some of us this has become a part-time job of sorts over the last couple of years and can't be sustained if it's the same 25 to 30 guys running the show. Once we come up with concrete goals we'll be asking folks here to help out. More to come later.
Dirk

Return to Elections & Activism