Warwick Concealed Carry - Support Needed!

Post information about upcoming elections, tea parties, etc.

Re: Warwick Concealed Carry - Support Needed!

Postby mossberg500 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:38 am

There were a couple amendments that had to be made to get it to pass. Specifically "Self Defense" as a proper reason, and an FFL was changed as being a "proper reason" to a "Factor in consideration".

We didn't lose anything as a result of the legislation, but gained quite a bit.

It is not the groundbreaking legislation that I hoped, but she was not getting the votes to pass if those 2 items were not changed. It is a step in the right direction. With a favorable decision in the EP case will reinforce Mosby v Devine, specifically having an 03FFL and being a collector as proper reason.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/261236799/Pco ... ril-6-2015
mossberg500

Postby Blast54 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:30 am

How is this considered a win if a "restraining order or police report" is needed to show you need to defend yourself?
So only AFTER you have proof that your life may be in danger, then they will issue a permit. As I have seen posted before, " The Government should not have the power to determine your need to defend yourself."
Blast54

Postby RImike » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:49 pm

FFL was changed as being a "proper reason" to a "Factor in consideration".

The state supreme court would state otherwise, and he wasn't even a FFL just a gun collector.

From the Mosby Decision:
Mosby, a resident of Massachusetts who holds several gun licenses from other states, was entitled to a carrying permit from the licensing authority of any city or town.   An avid gun collector, plaintiff has a proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver and there is no suggestion that he is an unsuitable person

As Blast54 stated, the state must allow you to be in danger and once that is proven, you can defend yourself? I bet that women's rights groups in particular would jump all over the language.
RImike

Postby n1bsbri » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Here's the great thing - they make you prove you have a documented threat to your life, then make you wait 6 months for the permission to protect yourself. How about if you get killed during that wait period, too bad for you! Should have lived in a free state.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby mossberg500 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:32 am

I get it. But as it stood before this legislation, in Warwick, they were not following Mosby v Devine, and they were not accepting "Self Defense" as a proper reason. They were not issuing permits for self defense unless you had a documented police report of a threat anyway.

Now, there is an appeal, they have to document the hearing, and they have to give a written denial or issue the permit automatically. They were not doing any of that. The purpose of this was to codify the process that they must follow. (A step forward)

It also codifies that having an AG's permit entitles you to a City permit.

I agree that we should not beg for our right to self defense and the 2nd amendment. But the only way to break this liberal state leadership is one hack at a time.

Let's be realistic, constitutional carry is not getting passed in RI anytime soon, as much as we all want it to! That will take a SCOTUS case in our favor in this area of the U.S. Which I why I hope Peruta will go to the distance.
mossberg500

Postby n1bsbri » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:48 am

One thing I think we all agree is none of this is directed at Mossberg500, who pitched in and moved the ball forward. Although we all wish it had turned out more in our favor, thanks for your excellent work. As you say, it's a base to build from, and Warwick has put a stake in the ground, which is much more than we have with most of the anti towns.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby mossberg500 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:48 pm

I appreciate you writing that, but I was a small part of a larger team. I went into this process to give my $.02 and help any way I was able. I learned a lot about RI law, local ordinance, and CCW statutes in other states. My hope is this sets me up to contribute more going forward.

We won the battle, but the objective is to win the war!
mossberg500

Postby RImike » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:27 pm

n1bsbri wrote:One thing I think we all agree is none of this is directed at Mossberg500, who pitched in and moved the ball forward. Although we all wish it had turned out more in our favor, thanks for your excellent work. As you say, it's a base to build from, and Warwick has put a stake in the ground, which is much more than we have with most of the anti towns.

Agreed, well done Mossberg500!
RImike

Postby RImike » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:23 pm

mossberg500 wrote:There were a couple amendments that had to be made to get it to pass. Specifically "Self Defense" as a proper reason, and an FFL was changed as being a "proper reason" to a "Factor in consideration".

We didn't lose anything as a result of the legislation, but gained quite a bit.

It is not the groundbreaking legislation that I hoped, but she was not getting the votes to pass if those 2 items were not changed. It is a step in the right direction. With a favorable decision in the EP case will reinforce Mosby v Devine, specifically having an 03FFL and being a collector as proper reason.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/261236799/Pco ... ril-6-2015

For the most part, most of it is now moot, check out the updates here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2150&start=10
RImike

Postby mossberg500 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:40 am

Yes and no.

The Warwick board of public safety refused to follow procedure and came up with their own procedure, which was contrary to Rhode Island law and associated caselaw.

The Warwick ordinance still lays out a specific procedure that the board of Public Safety must follow, and also removes their ability to add thier own criteria into the mix.

Without the new ordinance, I have very little faith that the board of Public Safety would've adhered to the EP decision without a lawsuit.
mossberg500

PreviousNext

Return to Elections & Activism