Smithfield Permit, Police Chief Stalling

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Smithfield Permit, Police Chief Stalling

Postby justharry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:38 am

I applied for a CCW permit with the Smithfield PD in December, 2013 and am still waiting for a response. I visited the station after three months and again after six months to check the status. First visit, the chief's secretary said to just wait, they are busy. Second visit, same response from the detective checking the applications. Is there any way to put pressure on the police chief to process my application?
justharry

Re: Smithfield Permit, Police Chief Stalling

Postby Blast54 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:47 am

Harry, remind the chief that RI Superior Court has stated that 30 days is enough to process a permit. Here is where you will find the info http://www.rifol.org/attachments/File/Gilletteorder.pdf.

Search "Scituate Permit" on this forum and get more information. Keep accurate records and keep us informed.

Bill
Blast54

Postby justharry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:35 pm

I will give it a try. Thanks for the info.
justharry

Postby jcat » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:49 am

Send a registered letter outlining the timeline and quoting what Blast said about the 30 days, and that based upon prior history up to 90 days would be understandable. 7 months, however, is exceptionally long.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby justharry » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:43 pm

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the note.
justharry

Postby TheDuke » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:33 pm

I picked up my app at Smithfield PD a few weeks back and was told by the secretary, without having first asked, that it would take about 6-months for me to get the permit after I submitted my completed forms.
TheDuke

Postby newportri » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Feel free to remind them that he has 30 days to process (see link by Blast54 above).
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:39 pm

There's no legitimate reason that the permit processing should take 6 months. They do it (by statute) in 14 days in New Hampshire. Thirty days is plenty. They drag it out to discourage applicants, and also because they don't get any pushback, they just take their sweet time. After all, it's just the constitutional rights of gun owners, right? Nothing to get excited about.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby justharry » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:33 am

After sending a certified letter requesting the chief expedite my permit process and a reminder by email, the Smithfield PD called to arrange a personal interview. I responded honestly to the detective's questions and filled out medical records release forms for my primary care physician and several local hospitals. The detective stated that it may take the doctors several weeks to respond but as long as the medical records came back clean - he was looking for psychiatric issues - there were no apparent disqualifying factors. This could all be wrapped up soon, about eight months total.
justharry

Postby n1bsbri » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:54 am

justharry wrote:After sending a certified letter requesting the chief expedite my permit process and a reminder by email, the Smithfield PD called to arrange a personal interview. I responded honestly to the detective's questions and filled out medical records release forms for my primary care physician and several local hospitals. The detective stated that it may take the doctors several weeks to respond but as long as the medical records came back clean - he was looking for psychiatric issues - there were no apparent disqualifying factors. This could all be wrapped up soon, about eight months total.

Wow, I don't like the sound of that at all. They have no business digging into your psych records (if any). The Chief is not a medical expert. I give them credit for keeping at it, they can think of a million ways to deny.

ETA: Just as a point of reference, more than 10% of Americans over age of 12 take anti-depressants. That's probably 40 million people, so it's fairly common. The Feds are also going after Veterans to take away their guns, based on mental health criteria. Make no mistake, it's just another way to grab guns.

http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2014/01/15/feds-tell-veteran-he-will-lose-2nd-amendment-rights-because-of-ptsd/
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Next

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits