Smithfield Permit, Police Chief Stalling

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Re: Smithfield Permit, Police Chief Stalling

Postby whelmo14 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Lets start with the chief and medical records. Does the chief get to ask the doctor about the patient ? I didn't want to use the quote in this post as your reply was very long. Next you said that the secretary had no business checking the app to see if everything was there. WHY wouldn't she? She did it as a courtesy so it wouldn't be returned because there was something missing. Are there rules as to who can see your app? Now you brought up vets. An average of 22 vets kill themselves every day. In Chris Kyles case it was a vet with ptsd that killed him. You will have to excuse me on my spelling of HIPAA . I guess that was a big deal.
whelmo14

Postby newportri » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:26 pm

The release form is for the release of records. The Chief can ask the doctor any question he would like to, but I doubt the doctor will answer. You can call your doctor to find out.

It's the responsibility of the applicant to make sure everything is in place so the clerk/secretary (who is not law enforcement) has no business looking at private information in my opinion.

In regards to who can see your app, it is a little bit of a gray area I think. The licensing authority is specifically prohibited from releasing permit holder information (with a few exceptions), but it doesn't specifically mention applicants. However, since 11-47-11 mandates the licensing authority to issue a permit if all requirements are met, I think that by releasing applicant information they are essentially releasing permit holder information since applicants should know if they meet the few basic requirements in 11-47-11. In other words, they wouldn't apply if they already knew they didn't meet the requirements. We know many licensing authorities don't follow the law so it is not as straight forward as it should be.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby whelmo14 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:38 pm

Do you think the "licensing authority " is made up of only one person ?
whelmo14

Postby newportri » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:44 pm

whelmo14 wrote:Do you think the "licensing authority " is made up of only one person ?

The licensing authority is defined by law so I suggest you look it up yourself. By reading the Rhode Island Firearm's Act you will learn a lot. When you are done reading that, I suggest you read some relevant case law (links on the main page) since there is a lot of good information there.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby whelmo14 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 pm

What the fuck is your problem. Take me off of the members list You sound and act like a spoiled little kid.
whelmo14

Postby admin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 pm

whelmo14 wrote:Take me off of the members list

Done
admin
Site Admin

Postby jcat » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:39 am

Trolls gonna troll. AMF!
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby Blast54 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:12 am

What a shame, I was just getting the popcorn ready.... was turning interesting to see where he was going.
Blast54

Postby MM2(SS) » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:58 pm

whelmo14 wrote:What the fuck is your problem. Take me off of the members list You sound and act like a spoiled little kid.

Bye Bye Zipperhead.
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Postby Dirk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:57 pm

I guess there are bigger dicks out there and that's coming from a guy with user name dirkdiggler. (Former user name.)
Dirk

Previous

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits