Towns that charge more than $40 for permit

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Towns that charge more than $40 for permit

Postby RImike » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:12 pm

How many towns charge more than $40 for permits under 11-47-11? Warwick up until recently charged more than $40, how is the added expense justified?

For those that do, has this ever been challenged under 11-47-58? http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Stat ... -47-58.HTM
§ 11-47-58 Firearms – State preemption. – The control of firearms, ammunition, or their component parts regarding their ownership, possession, transportation, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, purchase delay, licensing, registration, and taxation shall rest solely with the state, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1986, ch. 443, § 1.)

Possession, transportation, carrying, and licensing are all activities that fall within 11-47-11
RImike

Re: Towns that charge more than $40 for permit

Postby newportri » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:27 pm

I believe Providence charge $250 and Bristol charge $100 and there might be others as well. You can look at the pistol permit study on the main page, but there might have been changes since then.
A few years ago Warwick raised the fee from $40 to $200, and I believe the chairperson's reason for this was that this was what a liquor license cost and a CCW permit was just as valuable so this is what we will charge :?
They were then notified that the statute calls for a $40 permit fee, so they changed the fee structure so that there was a $160 application fee and a $40 permit fee. No one challenged this until recently when speedie took action.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby whelmo14 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:55 pm

Smithfield only charges 40 bucks and that is only if you get the permit. I had them do the fingerprints for me and they told me the charge for that was included in the 40 dollar permit fee.
whelmo14

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:05 pm

West Greenwich is $40, required to be sent with the application (non refundable). I did my fingerprints at the AG office, but I assume WG's fee includes fingerprints.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby whelmo14 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:43 pm

Turned my paperwork in yesterday. Now I just wait.
whelmo14

Postby rick p » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:47 pm

Has anyone from Pawtucket applied recently, and what, if any were the results? I live in Pawtucket, and wish to obtain a ccw in order to get ahead of any new restrictions that may be imposed in this city. I've heard that the Chief won't sign off on the permit applications, and also heard that the Mayor says he's the issuing authority. Any feed back would be appreciated.
rick p

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:43 am

rick p wrote:Has anyone from Pawtucket applied recently, and what, if any were the results? I live in Pawtucket, and wish to obtain a ccw in order to get ahead of any new restrictions that may be imposed in this city. I've heard that the Chief won't sign off on the permit applications, and also heard that the Mayor says he's the issuing authority. Any feed back would be appreciated.

The Mayor is not the licensing authority unless it explicitly states that in the City Charter.

(5) "Licensing authorities" means the board of police commissioners of a city or town where the board has been instituted, the chief of police or superintendent of police of other cities and towns having a regular organized police force, and, in towns where there is no chief of police or superintendent of police, it means the town clerk who may issue licenses upon the recommendation of the town sergeant, and it also means any other person or body duly authorized by the city or town charter or by state law.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby YKCOR1313 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 pm

East Providence charges $100.00
YKCOR1313

Postby jcat » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:58 pm

n1bsbri wrote:West Greenwich is $40, required to be sent with the application (non refundable). I did my fingerprints at the AG office, but I assume WG's fee includes fingerprints.

EG was the same way. $40 upon submission of the app (I submitted in person), fingerprints included.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits