Non-Resident MA & CT permits with RI Restricted Permit

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Non-Resident MA & CT permits with RI Restricted Permit

Postby mossberg500 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:30 am

I am looking to obtain Connecticut and Massachusetts Non-Res permits, but currently have a C&R restricted permit from the RI AG's office.

I have spoken to one person on this board who has received these permits without issue, I wanted to see if anyone else has tried to get them on a restricted AG's permit, and, what their experience was.
mossberg500

Re: Non-Resident MA & CT permits with RI Restricted Permit

Postby YKCOR1313 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Conn. is really easy and you only need to send them a copy of any permit, and you'll receive an unrestricted Conn. permit. http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=530224&A=4213 This link will direct you to the Conn. site for info. MA is also very easy and they might issue an unrestricted permit since you have your RI permit. I've seen it go both ways in MA, and sometimes your first will be restricted and when you renew in a year you can ask for unrestricted. I have both these permits unrestricted along with 8 other state permits. Good Luck.
YKCOR1313

Postby mossberg500 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:54 pm

YKCOR1313 wrote:Conn. is really easy and you only need to send them a copy of any permit, and you'll receive an unrestricted Conn. permit. http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=530224&A=4213 This link will direct you to the Conn. site for info. MA is also very easy and they might issue an unrestricted permit since you have your RI permit. I've seen it go both ways in MA, and sometimes your first will be restricted and when you renew in a year you can ask for unrestricted. I have both these permits unrestricted along with 8 other state permits. Good Luck.

Are you restricted on your RI permit?
mossberg500

Postby jcat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:03 pm

YKCOR1313 wrote:Conn. is really easy and you only need to send them a copy of any permit, and you'll receive an unrestricted Conn. permit. http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=530224&A=4213 This link will direct you to the Conn. site for info. MA is also very easy and they might issue an unrestricted permit since you have your RI permit. I've seen it go both ways in MA, and sometimes your first will be restricted and when you renew in a year you can ask for unrestricted. I have both these permits unrestricted along with 8 other state permits. Good Luck.

That's not what that website says for non residents.

It says you need to send a copy of your permit, copy of certificate for gun safety course, $66.50 for background check and fingerprints, $70 to the state of CT, passport photo, application, and proof of residency.

Still not bad, all things considered. But expensive, RI only charges $5 for FBI background check with prints, why does CT need $66.50?
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby YKCOR1313 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:30 am

My RI AG's permit is restricted to my rental properties and my town permit is unrestricted. Conn doesn't require you to have your home state permit. They will accept a copy of a permit from any state. I used my Utah permit to get my Conn. permit. I received 7 permits before I applied for the AG and town permits. MA was my last permit because I wanted the unrestricted version. The person at the AG's office told me to request an unrestricted permit when I renew, but I won't have any rental properties by that time so I'm going to let it expire. I only plan on keeping the town permit because I don't want an AG rejection on my record. Five of my friends received their Conn. permits by using either a Florida or Utah permit and none of them have a home state permit. Conn makes it easier for non residents to get a permit than their own citizens. I plan on visiting Texas and Nevada, and I'm going to get both of their permits next.
YKCOR1313

Postby YKCOR1313 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:39 am

"You must hold a valid permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction." This allows you to use any permit to apply and it doesn't have to be your home state. I did it without my home state and my friends did the same thing. People think Conn. is tough, but it's one of the easiest permits in the country. I like collecting permits so I apply to anyone who'll give me one. I forgot to mention PA as one of the next I need. PA requires your home state permit and you have to find a gun friendly county to apply for a non resident permit. I'm going to Centre County where they love guns. The woman who answered my call told me to bring my permit and twenty dollars and then she'd help me find a good place for lunch. Very friendly people in Centre County.
YKCOR1313

Postby YKCOR1313 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:46 am

"It says you need to send a copy of your permit, copy of certificate for gun safety course, $66.50 for background check and fingerprints, $70 to the state of CT, passport photo, application, and proof of residency."
I forgot to mention those steps, but they're all real easy to complete. I used the NRA safety certificate, finger print card from the BCI office and photo's from AAA. They charge a little more than everyone else, but I just wanted their permit.
YKCOR1313

Postby newportri » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:31 am

Even though the CT process is more expensive and also seems to be a little more complicated, it seems like it is working better than in RI..
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby YKCOR1313 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:02 am

RI is much more complicated and difficult than Conn. Very few people have a chance of ever getting a RI CCW, but almost anyone with a clean record can get a Conn CCW. RI is one of the most difficult permits in the country. The only reason I was able to get my RI AG permit was because of my rental properties, and they didn't care that I already had 7 other state permits. I was going to try and renew my AG's permit after selling the properties, but it would be to risky to get a denial on file. I have a better chance of renewing my town permit without a denial from the AG on my record. Some people think I might be able to renew the AG's, but most of my friends say I'll be denied and I'm pretty sure I would be.
Last edited by YKCOR1313 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
YKCOR1313

Postby RImike » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:39 pm

This thread essentially brings the issue of permitting front and center. I have a town permit through Middletown, everything was done in accordance with 11-47-11, picked up the application, filled it out, got printed and photographed at the time of the interview, went a week or two later to pick it up, paid my $40 and I was on my way. Then you go the next town over and Newport is giving it's residents a run around. This happens throughout the state, it always amazes me how some CLEO's choose to interpret the law rather than enforce it.
RImike

Next

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits