Non-Resident MA & CT permits with RI Restricted Permit

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Re: Non-Resident MA & CT permits with RI Restricted Permit

Postby newportri » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:18 pm

YKOR, I hope you don't listen to your friends since their attitude is part of the problem in RI. I have never heard of anyone being denied an AG permit who has a C&R license, which I believe cost $36. Add this to the RI permit for you are out $76 so this is not too bad. I believe this is cheaper than any other permit I have with maybe the exception of PA. It's not the way it should work, but since they are "May Issue" that's what we have to deal with.
It is also not as bad to get a town permit as people are making it, and the number of people who have actually been denied locally is very small compared to those who "know" they will be denied and don't even want to apply. Most people want someone else to do something about it and/or spend someone else's money in a lawsuit, but there are very few people that do something about it themselves, I understand not everyone has a couple of thousand dollars to spend on legal fees, but if everyone gave a little it would have been a lot easier to make progress through the courts (MA has been very good with this). Many also say they don't have the money, but I am sure they still spent plenty of money on guns and ammo that could have gone towards a lawsuit...

Just a few years ago Middletown wasn't issuing permit either and I believe they developed a process in 2010 as part of an APRA request and soon after that they started issuing permits. I know (very well) how difficult Newport has been, but they are issuing now and hopefully it will be smoother for future applicants.
A lot of progress has been made as can be seen on this map:
http://rifol.org/pistolpermitstudy.php
Someone else did a similar map just a few years earlier and there was a lot more red and yellow so progress has been made.
You said:
it always amazes me how some CLEO's choose to interpret the law rather than enforce it.

You mean:
it always amazes me how some CLEO's choose to ignore the law rather than enforce it.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby YKCOR1313 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:18 pm

My town permit took two weeks and it's unrestricted. I have the C&R along with 10 total state permits. I'm also an NRA Chief Range Safety Officer and I teach eight different NRA courses. The main thing that mattered was that I owned rental property and they restricted the permit to rental property/real estate.
Last edited by YKCOR1313 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
YKCOR1313

Postby newportri » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:43 pm

If you haven't had the rental property I am pretty sure they would have given you either a NRA or C&R restricted permit.
newportri

Postby Blast54 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:48 pm

YKO)R ... your fears of being refused a renewal are unfounded also. In 1999 I was refused a renewal by sheldon shitehouse and didn't know it at the time. But the way it was explained to me afterward by ( Jim Archer ) was that once you are permitted you have a legal right to that permit,essentially owning it. The issuing authority needs a good reason to take it away. No different than a driver's license... once you have it they can't take it away for no reason.
Blast54

Postby YKCOR1313 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:46 pm

I'm now going to try and renew it next year. I feel I have enough qualifications on my resume to be issued a permit even without the rental property. I'll be back with a update once I try and renew.
YKCOR1313

Postby newportri » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Blast54 wrote:YKO)R ... your fears of being refused a renewal are unfounded also. In 1999 I was refused a renewal by sheldon shitehouse and didn't know it at the time. But the way it was explained to me afterward by ( Jim Archer ) was that once you are permitted you have a legal right to that permit,essentially owning it. The issuing authority needs a good reason to take it away. No different than a driver's license... once you have it they can't take it away for no reason.

That's correct, it has now become a property right, but unfortunately we don't have any case law on this. A few years ago a suit was written and ready to be filed (by Jim) over an AG denial on a renewal when the applicant no longer had the job she initially got the permit for. Unfortunately, the plaintiff changed her mind and the lawsuit was dropped.
newportri

Postby YKCOR1313 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:22 pm

I find that no one wants to be the test case for the carry permits. I know plenty of people who would like one, but none are willing to try. I almost didn't try but I was lucky enough to have several reasons to carry on the application.
YKCOR1313

Postby simon dog » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:50 pm

RI is one of the most difficult permits in the country.

Not even close to being true.

New Jersey; Some parts of NY State; All parts of NYC; and Hawaii all are an order of magnitude more restrictive in the issuance of carry permits than RI.

I, and several friends, all have unrestricted RI AG permits. I am all but 100% certain none us would have qualified for an unrestricted carry permit in any of the aforementioned jurisdictions.
simon dog

Postby YKCOR1313 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:42 pm

You're right. I should have placed them in order because I already knew the states you mentioned are more difficult than RI. But RI is right behind these states and we're certainly in the top ten, which isn't good. Maryland, Commiefornia, (ILL)inois, DC (shouldn't even be part of the US) are also more difficult than RI.
YKCOR1313

Postby RImike » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:20 am

YKCOR1313 wrote:You're right. I should have placed them in order because I already knew the states you mentioned are more difficult than RI. But RI is right behind these states and we're certainly in the top ten, which isn't good. Maryland, Commiefornia, (ILL)inois, DC (shouldn't even be part of the US) are also more difficult than RI.

Unfortunately, here in RI either you have a CLEO that follows the law (and issues) or you have one that doesn't. Take the Lincoln chief for example, who in conversations actually believes he the authority to use a psych test, even though it doesn't exist, and isn't part of the law. I am certain that with the recent rulings, that when legally challenged his additional restrictions would be moot. Any news from Lincoln?

Found an old article (2013) from the Pawtucket Times (at the bottom of the first page) about the hearings and one of our members here called out the CLEO about it: http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/sites/def ... 112213.pdf
RImike

PreviousNext

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits