Portsmouth Permit

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Portsmouth Permit

Postby shovel1966 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:16 am

Hello,
I have lived in Rhode Island a little over two years now and have bounced back and forth on applying for my RI Carry Permit. I have had permits in the last two states that I have lived and still keep them both current. My goal is to turn in my Portsmouth town application before the end of March. I already have the package and am pretty motivated to complete it and apply.

The two things that are intimidating to me are the reference letters and the "show of need." I know hundreds of others have wondered and asked the same thing. What do these documents need to say? Is there anything in particular that should be left out? How detailed would these need to be?

I still need to qualify on the range also, but won't be back in RI until the 2nd week of March. There have been a couple RIFOL forum members who have said they would qualify me at TRGC where I am a member. I just hope the weather is better than when I left earlier this month.

I am a big anxious and excited about this process. I any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated and possibly encouraging.

Thanks
shovel1966

Re: Portsmouth Permit

Postby demjones » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm happy to qualify you @ TRGC. I just shot my re-qual there in that warm, dry, well-lighted range.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Re: Portsmouth Permit

Postby newportri » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:03 pm

I would honestly not put too much focus on the "showing of need" since this is not a requirement and instead focus on the "proper reason" since this is all that matters.
Portsmouth has been pretty good with issuing permits, but there was a short period when they had an interim chief when the process slowed down and they put the permitting process on hold. However, the last I have heard they were issuing.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits