RI Non Resident Question

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

RI Non Resident Question

Postby jdp29 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:09 am

I have a friend who contacted me. He lives just over the line in Mass and is in RI very often. He is a correctional officer in Mass and has had a permit there for over 10 years. I would imagine his need would be justified for a RI permit.

Anyone have any insight??
jdp29

Re: RI Non Resident Question

Postby YKCOR1313 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:01 am

The great majority of non-residents don't stand a chance of getting a RI permit (most RI residents can't even get one), but I feel he has a better chance than the average person. I believe he has a good reason and if he has some good references he should get a permit. The worst that can happen is that he's denied, and no one can hold that against him in the future because very few people get a permit in RI. This state has to be in the top ten of the toughest states in the country to issue permits. The COMMIE states like Commiefornia, The Peoples Republic's of NY & NJ, MARY LAND (the space is meant as an insult), Illinois (poor ole Abe is turning in his grave), hawaii (shouldn't even be a state and belongs in the eastern block with the other no good commies), DC district of no good commies (we're lucky it's not a state and it doesn't deserve to be the nations cap.) and COMMIERADO (pretty easy to get a permit in the stoner state, but I just don't like them. Delaware isn't to bad a state, but they can give some residents a hard time. CommieOregon only issues to those non-residents in connecting states and they're to close to COMMIEFORNIA, but their residents usually get permits. I sort of like The Peoples Republic of MA (mainly because they gave me an unrestricted permit), but the have some of the worst gun laws in the country. COMMIEnnecticut gun laws SUCK, but they also gave me a permit and it's easier for a non-resident to get a permit than some of their own citizens.
YKCOR1313

Postby jcat » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Before we start throwing out generalizations, the towns just about all have provisions for non-resident permits under 11-47-11 rather than having to go to the AG.

However, being a correctional officer in MA and holding an MA permit might give him an in with the AG. I'd imagine they'd go easier on a CO than an average citizen.

Contrary to popular belief it is nowhere near impossible to get a permit in RI, save for a few specific communities, if the proper procedure is followed.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby newportri » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:53 pm

jcat wrote:Contrary to popular belief it is nowhere near impossible to get a permit in RI, save for a few specific communities, if the proper procedure is followed.

I agree 100% with that.
I would actually say that a majority of applicants are approved and get a permit from either the AG or local licensing authority. The AG claims that about 85% of new applicants are approved, but this doesn't take into account those that "withdraw" their application and we probably won't know the true number. I have also contacted the licensing authorities in every town and in most cases applicants are issued permits.

I can also with certainty say that 100% of those who don't want to apply (because they don't think they will get a permit) don't get a permit... Many of those who fall into this category consider themselves as being denied though. I have said this many times on this forum and our facebook page that people just need to apply and don't worry too much about getting denied. A lot of times I hear people say that their Chief doesn't issue permits, but when I ask them if they applied it turns out they never even applied..
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby YKCOR1313 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:30 pm

I agree with you both. If you don't try, you'll never succeed. I've applied for 10 different permits and I was approved for all 10. There are still 3 permits I need, but I have to go on vacation to these states in order to be issued their permits (Texas, Nevada and Penn).
YKCOR1313

Postby RImike » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:57 pm

When I applied for a permit in my town (Middletown), the thought of getting denied never once crossed my mind, no do I when I re-new next year.
RImike

Postby simon dog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:16 am

YKCOR1313 wrote:I agree with you both. If you don't try, you'll never succeed. I've applied for 10 different permits and I was approved for all 10. There are still 3 permits I need, but I have to go on vacation to these states in order to be issued their permits (Texas, Nevada and Penn).

You don't need NV any more unless you are taking the "save the whales - collect the entire set" approach - RI is now on the NV "accepted" list.
simon dog

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits