Denied in Cranston!

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Re: Denied in Cranston!

Postby n1bsbri » Thu May 07, 2015 4:34 pm

This denial seems on the surface very similar to Gadomski, denied for "proper showing of need". It might be a good time to revisit this in light of the decision in Gadomski v. Tavares. I'm not sure if Atty. Strachman would be willing to offer some advice on how to proceed? It might be worth a try.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby YKCOR1313 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:27 am

One of the most important things I've learned on this site is that IT'S ALWAYS WORTH TRYING. If you don't try you'll never win. Even if you lose, you'll know you gave it your best.
YKCOR1313

Postby newportri » Fri May 08, 2015 1:07 am

YKCOR1313 wrote:One of the most important things I've learned on this site is that IT'S ALWAYS WORTH TRYING. If you don't try you'll never win. Even if you lose, you'll know you gave it your best.

That's very true, and I would like to add that those who try usually get their permit.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby cranston » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:27 pm

Blk01max wrote:About a week later the Detective called me with a few questions. He was professional and easy to speak with.

Blk01max, what was the "interview" with the Cranston detective like?
cranston

Postby JHawk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:21 am

Just throwing this out here and forgive my ignorance if im way off; cant he just get an out of state (FL, UT etc) and then apply to a more gun friendly town?
JHawk

Postby Blk01max » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:21 pm

cranston wrote:
Blk01max wrote:About a week later the Detective called me with a few questions. He was professional and easy to speak with.

Blk01max, what was the "interview" with the Cranston detective like?

The phone call was very casual. I wouldn't even call it an interview. He literally verified a few pieces of info from my app and that was it.

As I stated in my earlier posts I was initially denied the permit. However, I did follow up the denial in writing and questioned the reason for denial (fail to show proper need). I received a follow up letter confirming the initial decision of "denial". At that point, I reviewed my original letter that explained my need and acknowledged that I had not thoroughly explained my proper need. I wrote the chief another letter clarifying and further explaining my need. I received my approval within a week. I never had an interview with the chief and my permit fee was $40 (contrary to current application). I'm guessing I was "grandfathered" in since my original app was sent in prior to the changes to the application criteria (my approval came post application changes). When I picked up the permit I was with the detectives for about an hour (not for any sort of interview) but for them to "build" the permit. They were completely professional and pleasant.

I want to thank Newport and all of the great resources on the forum for the support. Without the support I probably wouldn't have been so confident in my request or as persistent with the PD.

As others have said here, be persistent, know the law, track everything (keep copies, keep everything in writing, certified mail), and your chances of a permit increase exponentially.
Blk01max

Postby newportri » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:25 pm

JHawk wrote:Just throwing this out here and forgive my ignorance if im way off; cant he just get an out of state (FL, UT etc) and then apply to a more gun friendly town?

The problem is not those who issue, but those who refuse to issue. If everyone applied in a town that is known to issue instead of somewhere where the don't "like" to issue, you would do us a disservice. Smithfield has been pretty good with issuing permits, but they now claim they are "flooded" (this is not entirely true though), and now residents are waiting up to 9 months to get their apps processed. I don't know if they are also getting a lot on non-resident applications though, but I think you get the idea. Cranston has issued in the past, but they have also denied, and by not forcing the issue there we would not be making any progress.
Blk01max has proven that with just a little bit of persistence you can get a permit in Cranston. If you are "armed" with the knowledge of the law and they know that, your chances are pretty good I think.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby JHawk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks for the response-i understand what you mean, just brainstorming for ideas to help
JHawk

Postby stillwater » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:04 pm

newportri wrote:
JHawk wrote:Just throwing this out here and forgive my ignorance if im way off; cant he just get an out of state (FL, UT etc) and then apply to a more gun friendly town?

The problem is not those who issue, but those who refuse to issue. If everyone applied in a town that is known to issue instead of somewhere where the don't "like" to issue, you would do us a disservice. Smithfield has been pretty good with issuing permits, but they now claim they are "flooded" (this is not entirely true though), and now residents are waiting up to 9 months to get their apps processed. I don't know if they are also getting a lot on non-resident applications though, but I think you get the idea. Cranston has issued in the past, but they have also denied, and by not forcing the issue there we would not be making any progress.
Blk01max has proven that with just a little bit of persistence you can get a permit in Cranston. If you are "armed" with the knowledge of the law and they know that, your chances are pretty good I think.

Being "flooded with requests" is the same thing that both JHawk and I were told the times we inquired about our applications. My 9 month mark since application submittal is this Friday. If I don't hear anything I'm going to give it a few days and follow-up with both another letter and a visit to the station. I'm going to re-qualify but this time with a .45 this weekend at my new gun club and submit that with my follow-up letter (certified mail of course). If they blame the hospitals for the wait I'll ask for all of their names and call each one to ask the status.

I've mentioned it before but I'll say it again: now that we *know* Smithfield PD requires a medical release for issuance of the permit, I think new applicants should do one of the following: either 1.) ask for the medical release forms with the concealed carry permit application or at least get these forms from them as soon as possible to avoid the inevitable delay; or 2.) inform whoever is processing the applications that you will not be consenting to the release of any medical records when you apply. I am recommending this mainly because the detective who I interviewed with mentioned that waiting for the medical records release "is the longest part of the application process". Is it considered "public information" that others now know that SPD requires a medical info release as part of their CCW application process? If so then somebody could probably request these forms under Freedom of Information statutes.

Will follow-up with you folks when all is said and done. JHawk have you heard anything back regarding yours?
stillwater

Previous

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits