Reference letters and show of "need"

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Reference letters and show of "need"

Postby shovel1966 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:57 pm

Hello,

Well I'm slowly getting my CCW package ready to submit to Portsmouth. Today I live fire qualified and miscalculated and only shot 29 rounds. Shot my first 7 round 1911 magazine plus the one in the chamber and then reloaded the 7 round mag three more times for a total of 29 rounds. Oh well, scored a 236 with the 29 rounds so didn't need the last one.

Thanks, demjones, for your your assistance.

Now I'm in the process of getting together some letters of reference. It's a little harder for me because I am fairly new to the area and don't know many people. I also don't work in the area so don't have co-workers to ask. I could probably scrape 3 people together to write letters for me, but what would be suggested? How long should these reference letters be?

And for my letter of need..... my C&R expired in 2010 and I didn't renew, I'm not an NRA instructor or shoot competitively. I've read other threads that people have been denied because of "not showing proper need." I'm not sure what a "proper need" would be for me. I have legally carried for several years and currently have Florida, Virginia, and Utah CCW, but now that I've moved to RI, I can not legally carry where I live. And to top that off, RI has extremely crappy firearm transportation laws. (I can't legally stop at the grocery store for a loaf of bread on the way home from shooting at the range)

If anyone has any advice for reference letters and/or letter of need, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm open to PM's if you wish to remain private.
Thanks
shovel1966

Re: Reference letters and show of "need"

Postby RImike » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Are they asking for references or reference letters? Since 11-47-11 doesn't ask for references/letters, there is no stipulation that qualifies who can write one. I see no reason you wife/co workers could write one or friends/family back in VA for that matter. The chief may not like it, but essentially the reference letter will be "Shovel1966 is a suitable person to be licensed under 11-47-11" though it might be jazzed up with some other filler words and letter head, this is what they are looking for.
RImike

Postby newportri » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Reference letters "should not" be necessary for the Chief to determine if you meet the statutory requirements so I don't even know why they ask. It is most likely something left over from the AG's policy when they created their own policy. I have never heard of any references being contacted by the AG, so it is most likely there to create a burden on the applicant, just like many other things on his application.
One time I wrote the reference myself and just had some friends sign them. It was basically a one liner similar to what RIMike suggested. I have never seen a policy state what the reference letter is supposed to contain, so there is no reason to get too elaborate. There is no reason for the reference to get into why they think you need to carry a concealed firearm. They can say something about your character if they/you would like to.
PS, your references don't need to reside in RI.

Self defense is a proper reason to me, but you can also site the poor transportation laws. Being a gun collector has been confirmed by the RI Supreme Court as a proper reason for a permit.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby shovel1966 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks for your much appreciated input. The package I got from Portsmouth PD is an exact copy of the AG's package. I haven't asked if Portsmouth requires all of what's in the package or details about references. I will see about getting some people in RI to assist me with this since they have to be notarized (if reference letters are required)

Thanks again.
shovel1966

Postby newportri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 pm

Your references should be able to get their letters notarized in any state and both of you don't need to be there to get it notarized. I know there is a little bit of confusion on this since I know there have been people who have gone with their references to get their letters notarized, but this is not necessary (unless the application specifically states this). I have not seen anyone that required the reference letters to be signed by both the reference and applicant.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits