Is ISIS a "good enough" reason

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Is ISIS a "good enough" reason

Postby floord » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:04 pm

With all the talk of ISIS saying they want to harm us soldiers on us soil, is that not a "need" to carry a firearm? Ive been delaying my application for well over a year now for a few reasons and the biggest is my "need" to carry.

What do you guys think?

PS I am no longer in the us military but I am a veteran, same thing to me. I dont think ISIS is going to say o well he ets'd leave him alone.
floord

Re: Is ISIS a "good enough" reason

Postby newportri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Are you applying locally (where) or to the AG?
Your reason to carry a firearm seems to be for personal protection, which I think is the best reason anyone can have to CCW. The threat of ISIS is more along the lines that you have demonstrated a "need" (for the AG). If you are applying locally you don't have to worry too much about the need part, but if the application asks for it, then you should write something down. If it is an AG application I don't think the AG would put any weight on the threat from ISIS being a "need" since he would argue that everyone has that "need" and he would never issue to everyone anyway. If you are one of those that have been named by ISIS then it would probably be a different story.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby floord » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:25 pm

newportri wrote:Are you applying locally (where) or to the AG?
Your reason to carry a firearm seems to be for personal protection, which I think is the best reason anyone can have to CCW. The threat of ISIS is more along the lines that you have demonstrated a "need" (for the AG). If you are applying locally you don't have to worry too much about the need part, but if the application asks for it, then you should write something down. If it is an AG application I don't think the AG would put any weight on the threat from ISIS being a "need" since he would argue that everyone has that "need" and he would never issue to everyone anyway. If you are one of those that have been named by ISIS then it would probably be a different story.

I suppose locally. Ive been delaying it because I dont want to get denied and have it turn into some fiasco later on. LOL at the AG not putting weight behind the ISIS threat, just because I havent been mentioned on a list doesnt mean I am not on a list or that some ISIS asshole couldnt make me his target based upon my license plate or haircut , or tshirt , etc.

Thank you for your response and just to be clear I am not laughing at your response just the assumes response by someone looking for anyreason to deny a ccw (AG).
floord

Postby newportri » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:28 pm

What town are you applying in?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby floord » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:54 pm

I live in richmond but would like to move within about 6 months. Still in ri but not sure exactly where.Could be Warwick, Coventry, Smithfield , N Providence, not exactly sure.
floord

Postby RImike » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:58 pm

If you live in Warwick, I am sure it is at this point. By Warwick, I mean any and all towns in the US that this is possible now.
RImike

Postby simon dog » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:20 pm

Almost certainly no, at least in regard to the AGs "lay issue" criteria.

In general, when an agency is "may issue" and requires a reason, the purpose is to keep the number of permits down. This means the reason must be specific, verifiable, and not applicable to "just anyone". No matter how creative your "reason essay", it will generally fail if it is a reason that could apply to all applicants - as accepting a reason such as "ISIS" would effectively turn "may issue" into "shall issue".
simon dog

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits