Denied by AG!

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Denied by AG!

Postby Blk01max » Wed May 06, 2015 10:23 pm

I applied for my CCW with the AG's office after being denied in Cranston. I was contacted by mail a week after submitting my application due to missing information in my application. I had to appear at the AG's office to find out what was missing as they wont disclose the information by phone. They wanted a copy of my C&R license, which I provided on the same day I appeared in person. A week later I received my denial letter which doesnt clearly state the reason for denial, but offers me the opportunity to appeal the decision. I will certainly schedule an appeal.

I understand that in many cases, the appeal ultimately results in an approval. Is it common for others whose main reason is "collector" with a C&R to be denied off the bat by the AG office, given the decision in the Mosby case? Also, for those who have appealed with positive results, did you get your approval and license on the same day as the interview?
Blk01max

Re: Denied by AG!

Postby mossberg500 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:07 am

I'd be interested to see how this turns out for you. I've been telling those who ask me to apply to the Attorney General's office before applying to the city or town, because the AG's office will give you at least a restrict permit based upon your C&R, or at least that has been the track record as of late.

I received mine from the AG's office, had a C&R, And he issued me a restricted for minutes without appeal. I exercised my opportunity to appeal to try and get an unrestricted permit. I was unsuccessful, but I do find the chief very professional in cordial.
mossberg500

Postby RImike » Thu May 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Unfortunately the courts have ruled being a collector was proper reason only in applying to 11-47-11. BTW, Mosby didn't even have a C&R. Why not apply to you town in accordance with 11-47-11?
RImike

Postby n1bsbri » Thu May 07, 2015 1:27 pm

RImike wrote:Unfortunately the courts have ruled being a collector was proper reason only in applying to 11-47-11. BTW, Mosby didn't even have a C&R. Why not apply to you town in accordance with 11-47-11?

OP stated that he was denied in Cranston.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Thu May 07, 2015 3:28 pm

They don't tell you at the interview whether you are approved or not, but they will give you an "idea" of where you stand.
It's un-usual that they play this kind of game, but it is the standard denial letter that is probably sent out by some clerk/secretary. It's just a waste of time for everyone if you ask me.
How are you making out in Cranston after the denial?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Blk01max » Thu May 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

Newport - I haven't heard anything since I wrote the Mayor and Town Council President almost a month ago. I'm growing more doubtful that I'll hear anything as more time goes by. I was thinking about sending a similar letter directly to the chief and asking him to reconsider his decision and to provide me with any materials used in making his decision. Do you think this approach is worthwhile?
Blk01max

Postby newportri » Thu May 07, 2015 4:32 pm

I would send them another reminder and also contact your councilor since they are representing you in Cranston.
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Thu May 07, 2015 5:13 pm

I thought the Mayor was Pro-2A. I saw a picture of him with a AR. :lol:
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby Blk01max » Thu May 07, 2015 5:26 pm

So I have my meeting with the Chief of BCI at the AG's office next week. Can anyone share any details about their experience, what to expect, and how best to be prepared? Thanks in advance.
Blk01max

Postby newportri » Thu May 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Chief Chin is no longer there (the rumor is that he was supporting Hodgson for AG and Kilmartin might not have liked that), so I think Coralis is running the show up there now.
I am sure it will be similar to how Chin did things. Make sure that you can back up every reason (or how you demonstrated a "need") that you listed for wanting a permit. If you are a collector, make sure you have your C&R license (they should already have this). If you need it for your business, bring a copy of the filing of your company with the Secretary of State. If you claim you have rental properties that you collect rent from, make sure you can document that you own the property and that you collect rent.
newportri

Next

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits