Denied by AG!

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Re: Denied by AG!

Postby mossberg500 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:33 pm

Detailed my meeting with the AG's office in another thread, which I am unable to link it this time, as I am working off the phone for the next week or so
mossberg500

Postby Blk01max » Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 pm

I had my interview with the Chief and Deputy Chief yesterday. As soon as I entered the room I was told to turn off my cell phone. I didn't hesitate and didn't think about it until later. I thought that was somewhat odd. It made me think about someone's post that suggested someone record the meeting....Anyway, I had my interview yesterday to explain why I needed the permit (collector, c&r, need a NH permit and NH won't issue without home state permit). They asked me to elaborate and I pretty much reiterated what was in my need letter. They weren't unprofessional or intimidating or anything, but they wouldn't hear it. They told me my reason wasn't strong enough and they wouldn't elaborate on what was a proper need. I also inquired about whether they've issued for others who are collectors and they said no. I knew that was total BS. They inquired whether I had any "issues" safely maintaining my collection in the past (I.e. Robbed, followed,etc) for which I responded, "no". I guess I need to wait until something bad happens to me or my family before I'm allowed to protect myself. According to them they use a weighted decision system 25% chief,25% deputy chief, and 50% AG. They showed me their decision "check list" from my initial with the word "need ?" In red ink and said they couldn't send it up to the third floor. I wonder how many other people heard the same lines yesterday?!
Blk01max

Postby newportri » Fri May 15, 2015 2:08 am

You should have asked them how you can transport your firearms from a private residence where you have purchased a C&R firearm and to your own residence. Its funny how you can legally buy yhe firearm from them, but you can't transport it home...
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby jeffek » Fri May 15, 2015 9:28 am

newportri wrote:You should have asked them how you can transport your firearms from a private residence where you have purchased a C&R firearm and to your own residence. Its funny how you can legally buy yhe firearm from them, but you can't transport it home...

I actually asked him that question I told him Rhode Island state law made it illegal for me to conduct business because I have to be travelling to or from a range or gun store, his response........ gun collecting is a hobby, just stop collecting
jeffek

Postby newportri » Fri May 15, 2015 11:25 am

Who said that?
newportri

Postby jeffek » Fri May 15, 2015 11:32 am

Last edited by jeffek on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jeffek

Postby newportri » Fri May 15, 2015 11:35 am

Who is the Chief there now that Chin is gone?
newportri

Postby Blk01max » Fri May 15, 2015 2:44 pm

The chief is William Karalis.
Blk01max

Postby mossberg500 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:04 pm

They have certainly changed her tune in the last few months, since I received mine. When I sat down to appeal my restriction, he told me that the only reason I was given it was to be able to conduct transactions for my "C&R Buisness"

Judging by his demeanor at the time, I was fairly convinced that his hands were tied by the AG, and this "appeal" was more or less a façade.

The cynic in me is thinking that they troll this and other fourms, and they saw a few posts from people who said they have received at least restricted permits for seeing our purposes, and once they saw that, they are no longer issuing for that reason. JMO
mossberg500

Postby newportri » Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 pm

The final decision is with the AG, but he can take recommendations from the Chief or deputy Chief. I am sure they search public forums like this (maybe Kilmartin can verify this is he reads this :-) ) so it shouldn't be a surprise if they have changed their tune since more and more are claiming to be collectors. Although I don't agree with the AG on denials, he has this discretion in Rhode Island law and why it is better to apply locally.
newportri

PreviousNext

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits