Approved in Portsmouth

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Approved in Portsmouth

Postby shovel1966 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:46 am

I submitted my completed package to the Portsmouth PD. A little over two weeks later, I got a call from the Admin Officer telling me that I have been approved and I need schedule an appointment to get my photo and fingerprints taken. I was told at the appointment that the fingerprints will be submitted to the FBI. When they come back without a hit, I would be able to pick up my permit at the records office of the police department. 3.5 hours after I left the appointment, I got another telephone call saying my prints were good and my permit was ready for pickup. I was pleasantly shocked that things worked so smoothly. I have heard and read horror stories about RI permits, but my experience was fantastic. Being "Shall Issue", we have to jump through hoops and submit a bunch of unnecessary stuff to apply (ie 3 notarized reference letters and "show of need" letter)

I was also surprised that I don't see a caliber restriction or caliber I qualified with anywhere on the permit. I was told by friends that I was allowed to carry the caliber I qualified with or smaller. If it's not on the permit, how would anyone know? Or....because I qualified with a .45acp 1911, it is virtually unrestricted and there is no need for listing the caliber. Just thoughts.
shovel1966

Re: Approved in Portsmouth

Postby newportri » Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 am

Glad you had a good experience and that the turnaround was quick! I bet it took you more time to decide to apply than it took them to process the spplication.
It definitely looks like your chances are better locally than with the AG.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: Approved in Portsmouth

Postby RImike » Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 am

Middletown is the same.
RImike

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits