Tips/ steps applying for RI CCW

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Tips/ steps applying for RI CCW

Postby Tyleraod » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:49 am

I am very interested in getting my RI CCW. I've read up on numerous sites and have heard horror stories of how difficult it is to get approved by AG. I am a resident of Johnston and have heard how difficult it is for the chief to approve as well. If you could give me as many tips and info on the whole process and ways to better my chances that would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Tyleraod

Re: Tips/ steps applying for RI CCW

Postby Uncle Duke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:08 am

Apply anyway. The local governments that issue permits are considered "shall issue". Unless you are disqualified by virtue of a criminal history, history of domestic violence, DUI's, have been committed to psychiatric institutions, or are otherwise prohibited from purchasing a firearm, you are eligible. They have 30 days to complete your background investigation and process your application. I would state in your letter that accompanies your application that you seek a concealed handgun license/CCW for all reasonable and legal purposes and cite both the Gillette decision (requiring local authorities to act within 30 days) and cite the Gadomski v. Joseph H. Tavares, Chief of Police Providence case (requiring local municipalities to issue).

Uncle Duke

Disclaimer: As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. Any advice I offer is based upon my experience and should not be considered legal advice. I am not a lawyer.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby YKCOR1313 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:54 am

I've been on this site for a little while and the most important thing I've learned is that you'll never get a permit if you don't apply. I know so many people who wish they had a permit and talk about it all the time. Their big problem is they won't get a permit until they get off their A$$ and apply. The worst that can happen is you'll be denied, and you'll be in the same position you're in currently. If you don't feel comfortable starting with a RI permit, then apply for one of the easy non resident permits that you can receive by mail (Florida, Arizona, Utah, Virginia and Maine) are some of the easiest permits to obtain, and you never have to leave the state to get one.
YKCOR1313

Postby simon dog » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:26 pm

The worst that can happen is you'll be denied, and you'll be in the same position you're in currently.

Not quite "the same". Many states ask "have you ever been denied a permit to carry" on the application, so you will be explaining a RI denial for the rest of your life.

Many people in MA don't apply for a RI permit for exactly this reason.
simon dog

Postby newportri » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:00 am

simon dog wrote:
The worst that can happen is you'll be denied, and you'll be in the same position you're in currently.

Not quite "the same". Many states ask "have you ever been denied a permit to carry" on the application, so you will be explaining a RI denial for the rest of your life.

Many people in MA don't apply for a RI permit for exactly this reason.

Because the RI licensing authorities doesn't follow the law does not disqualify you from getting a permit in other states and I have never had any issues. The MA licensing authorities actually seems pretty interested in my story..
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby simon dog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:13 am

MA is "may issue", and all you have to do to win on an appeal is prove a police chief's decision was not arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion. Many will not hold another denial against you; others may need proof as to the exact reason for the denial. I've read enough cases to know the level of abuse that can happen in MA.
simon dog

Postby Uncle Duke » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:57 am

I just applied to MA for a non-resident license. I am using both my employment as a forensic psychological examiner (I conduct evaluations with psychopaths and quite often my work is interstate in nature), I am an NRA firearms instructor and conduct firearms training in states other than my home state (and a LTC is a necessary to be certified as a firearms instructor in MA), and I travel for pleasure. I have also cited "for all proper and legal purposes".

I took the requisite NRA Basic Pistol course two weeks ago from an approved instructor and submitted my application along with my check for $100 and copies of my licenses. We'll see what happens.

Uncle Duke
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby newportri » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:07 pm

I think you will have a hard time getting an un-restricted permit in MA with that reason. I have said in the past that I would like my PTC for protection, but unless I can demonstrate a threat to myself they wouldn't give it to me and I was forced to basically formulate my need to fit into one of the restricted categories.
You will also have interview with them in person (unless there is an exception to this that I don't know about), which I would think will be an in-convenience for you.
Please keep us posted.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Uncle Duke » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Having to appear in person is somewhat of an inconvenience, although I do travel to New England from time to time on business. I think that the fact that I am also an NRA instructor (Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside of the Home, and Home Firearm Safety), that I would be traveling to MA to conduct firearm instruction would be an additional justifiable reason for possessing/carrying a firearm.

Uncle Duke
Uncle Duke

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits