North Kingstown

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

North Kingstown

Postby Kgun » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:07 pm

New register user here. I've had a RI State CCW permit for 20 years and a Florida CCW for 8 years. Always through the AGS office. I once had a work restricted permit in the late 90s (not my choice) but currently have a full unrestricted.
It expires in a month or so and I'm pulling together another application. Based on what I've read here I wonder if it will be a problem. I'm tempted to just go to NKPD if AG Kilmartin is tightening up..
Does anyone have any experience with how they treat applicants. Ive lived in NK my whole life so it should be straight forward. Any comments would be welcome.

Thank you
Kgun

Re: North Kingstown

Postby newportri » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:19 pm

The Chief testified last year at the state house at a hearing that at the time he had issued 7 out of 8 applicants so you should not have an issue. However, it was obvious from some of his statements that he didn't have a good understanding of the law.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:36 am

newportri wrote:The Chief testified last year at the state house at a hearing that at the time he had issued 7 out of 8 applicants so you should not have an issue. However, it was obvious from some of his statements that he didn't have a good understanding of the law.

He was the guy who said he treated "shall issue" as "may issue". I wonder if I could do the same with stop signs in his town? "May stop?"
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:09 am

Yes, that was him. He said the only one he had denied was a person who said he wanted the town permit so he didn't have to wait 7 days. With the issues we are having in RI, I can't feel too sorry for someone who can't come up with a better reason than that..
newportri

Postby Kgun » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. Ill be sure to let you know how I make out.
Kgun

Postby jaysonv » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Kgun wrote:Thanks for the replies. Ill be sure to let you know how I make out.

kgun do you have any updates?

i'm also in NK, and my wife and I are looking into getting permits after a recent break in at our home.
jaysonv

Postby newportri » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Request an application from the PD and apply. I wouldn't wait for someone else's application to be processed since that is irrelevant to your application.

PS, be careful how you word the "reason" for wanting a permit. If it is to protect yourself in your home, you could be denied because you don't need a permit to defend yourself in your home and he might not consider it a proper reason.
newportri

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits