what should a reference letter for a ccw say

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

what should a reference letter for a ccw say

Postby Rick9002006 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:50 am

what should a reference letter for a ccw say.
Rick9002006

Re: what should a reference letter for a ccw say

Postby newportri » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:35 pm

It would be nice if the licensing authority would say what they would like the reference letter to say.
I think the reference letters are irrelevant since they are not a requirement under 11-47-11. Of course no one will submit a reference letter saying you shouldn't CCW.
I would keep it short and there is no reason to get into details on WHY the person should get a CCW permit. Simply state that that to your knowledge the person is a law abiding citizen and suitable person and meets all requirements in 11-47-11.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby mossberg500 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Warwick requires character reference letters. They do not required mention of your desire to carry.
mossberg500

Postby newportri » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:03 am

Good point, if the application states what they are looking for you should try to do that.
newportri

Postby Uncle Duke » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:49 am

Providence requires three reference letters that require that you state why they (your reference) feels that you are qualified to possess a license to carry a concealed handgun. The RI State Atty. General application requires that the three letters are notarized and have a similar timbre, which I think is an unreasonable hoop that you are asking of friends.

Uncle Duke
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby newportri » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:12 pm

Reference letters should not be a requirement. What if you are a loner, or a conservative with only liberal friends that doesn't think you should carry a gun, you won't be able to exercise your rights?? I don't think this would hold up in court and I would like to see someone being denied for not having a reference letter. It is not a statutory requirement to have a reference letter and the courts have said the licensing authorities are "finders of fact" so you don't have to prove to them that you are suitable. The burden is on them to prove you are NOT suitable if they don't want to issue your permit.
newportri

Postby RImike » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:02 pm

FYI, some towns toe this line as they don't require reference letters, only references. I had to list 3 on my application, one was out of the country and when I called for the status, the detective stated that they haven't made contact and that was holding up the process, to which point I asked where in 11-47-11 is it required, silence. Then he said the the permit would be ready in a few days and I got the call by the end of the week.
RImike

Postby shovel1966 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:55 pm

I asked the exact same question when preparing my package for my Portsmouth permit. I went to the police records department in person and asked the receptionist what was required in the letters. She game me the phone number to the Major because he was not in his office. When I spoke to him on the phone, he said that the three letters were required and they must be notarized, but the content didn't matter that much. He specifically said that the letters should say how long the writer has known the applicant, that the person applying is mature, makes wise decisions, cool tempered, thinks things through logically, and such. The three letters that were written for me were barely two short paragraphs.

The major told me over the phone that the letters don't really weigh in on the decision to grant or deny, but it is a requirement for the application to be processed. I received a call back less than two weeks from submitting my package to say that I have been approved.

Good luck and keep us all updated as to your progress.
shovel1966

Postby newportri » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:11 pm

So he first said that the content didn't matter, but then continues to give instructions to what the letters should say.. That seems a little contradictory to me.
I would have liked to ask if the content didn't matter that much why are the reference letters still required.

It's probably the easiest to just get the reference letters since otherwise it will just drag out the process and it is not worth going to court over (I don't think reference letters would hold up in court though). It's just another hoop to jump through to get a permit.
newportri

Postby shovel1966 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:12 am

It's been quite a while since the phone conversation and don't remember word for word what the Major said. But I got the impression that he meant that it doesn't matter what the letters say as long as they were positive. And then he gave some examples to help me out. (as stated in my earlier post)

I truly feel they don't take too much stock into the content of the letters. After all, even convicted death row inmates could still come up with three people who will say good things about them.
shovel1966

Next

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits