Using Out of State Permit to obtain RI Town Permit

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

Using Out of State Permit to obtain RI Town Permit

Postby TheDuke » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Buddy of mine's telling me that he's looking at taking a class that will teach him how to obtain a FL non-resident permit that he can then use to apply for his RI permit in the town he lives in. The guy teaching the class says that the FL permit guarantees he'll get the RI town permit and that he won't have to provide any letters of reference, etc.

I told him that I think the whole thing is a crock of sh*t and even if it was true that he doesn't need to spend money to take a class to get a non-res permit in FL.

Looking for everyone's thoughts, opinions, etc...

Thanks
TheDuke

Re: Using Out of State Permit to obtain RI Town Permit

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:43 pm

Florida requires evidence of training (NRA Basic Pistol, Hunter Education, or similar) for issuance of a license. So he would need to take some kind of firearm safety class. As far as the rest of what the instructor said, good luck with that.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Who is teaching the class and what is the class called?
I would look for another instructor if he has made those statements your friend claims since they were mostly false. There are still statutory requirements that needs to be met and depending on the town he lives in; there might also be other requirements as well before a permit will be issued.
What town is he in?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby TheDuke » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:43 pm

I don't know who's teaching the class but it's being given here in RI. My friend lives in N. Kingstown and that's where he'd be applying.

I just couldn't believe what he was telling me as far as what this instructor was telling him! That the FL permit guarantees you'll get the RI town permit, that there's no additional paperwork necessary, etc, etc, etc.... And he's whacking people $100 each for this BS!!!

I told my buddy to save his money and just apply for the permit in NK.
TheDuke

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:22 pm

TheDuke wrote:I don't know who's teaching the class but it's being given here in RI. My friend lives in N. Kingstown and that's where he'd be applying.

I just couldn't believe what he was telling me as far as what this instructor was telling him! That the FL permit guarantees you'll get the RI town permit, that there's no additional paperwork necessary, etc, etc, etc.... And he's whacking people $100 each for this BS!!!

I told my buddy to save his money and just apply for the permit in NK.

OK, maybe I misunderstood the original post, I thought he would be applying for a non-resident permit from a town. In that case, he would require a permit from another state to apply. If he's a resident of RI, he does not need any out-of-state permits, and I doubt having one would have much influence on whether he would be issued a RI permit.

There are instructors saying some strange things out there.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby Uncle Duke » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:44 pm

I think that your friend is being taken for a ride. While submission of an out-of-state permit might be required for a non-resident of RI, this doesn't guarantee anything. I know that a number of people will get the FL license because it is recognized by a number of states, however, RI does not recognize the FL license or grant reciprocity, nor do any of the towns that issue licenses. This requirement (that non-residents submit a copy of their CHL from THEIR STATE) is to prove that they are legally permitted to carry in their state (although a few states have Constitutional carry).
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Uncle Duke wrote:I think that your friend is being taken for a ride. While submission of an out-of-state permit might be required for a non-resident of RI, this doesn't guarantee anything. I know that a number of people will get the FL license because it is recognized by a number of states, however, RI does not recognize the FL license or grant reciprocity, nor do any of the towns that issue licenses. This requirement (that non-residents submit a copy of their CHL from THEIR STATE) is to prove that they are legally permitted to carry in their state (although a few states have Constitutional carry).

For non-resident permit, it does not have to be the applicant's home state.

or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States
n1bsbri

Postby mossberg500 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:03 am

The instructor may have been referring to this footnote in the Gadmonski Decision:

5 Additionally, it should be noted that in Mosby v. Devine, 851 A.2d 1031, 1047 (R.I. 2004),
after observing that the petitioner held “several gun licenses from other states” and was “[a]n
avid gun collector,” we stated that the petitioner “ha[d] a proper reason for carrying a pistol or
revolver.” Therefore, it appears that Gadomski, who also has gun licenses from other states and
is a licensed gun collector, may have proffered at least one proper reason under the statute.

Far from a guarantee....
mossberg500

Postby TheDuke » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. Like many of you concluded, this instructor is being very misleading. My buddy is a RI resident and having a non-resident FL permit guarantees him nothing relative to getting his RI (resident) permit. It's nice to see that holding an out-of-state permit MAY help the sway the official responsible for approving the issuance of your RI permit, that remains to be seen and it essentially guarantees you nothing.
TheDuke

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits