Started the pistol build

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Re: Started the pistol build

Postby jcat » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:00 am

you can shoulder the sig brace but it is NOT considered a stock by the BATFE. So it can be done either way, and is 100% perfectly legal for RI use :D

I'm going to be building a 300blk pistol in the same vein pretty soon here since I couldn't sell my stuff, and it will also be getting the sig brace.

I've always thought that the magpul MOE hand guard would be ideal on a PDW but I don't believe they make anything for a free float as most PDWs are.

I've also been leaning toward finding a nice lightweight key mod.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Re: Started the pistol build

Postby shovel1966 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 am

In a letter from Earl Griffiths, Chief of Firearms Technology Branch of BATFE, dated March 5, 2014, he states that they classify weapons based on their physical design characteristics. They do not classify weapons based on how an individual uses a weapon.

Actual quote from the letter: "FTB (Firearms Technology Branch of the BATFFE) has previously determined (see FTB # 99146) that the firing of a weapon from a particular position, such as placing the receiver extension of an AR-15 type pistol on the user's shoulder, does not change the classification of a weapon. Further, certain firearms accessories such as the SIG Stability Brace have not been classified by ATB as shoulder stocks, and therefore, using the brace improperly does not constitute a design change."

So.....NewportRI, yes, I do shoot it from the shoulder and it completely acceptable within the eyes of the governing authority. (so far)
shovel1966

Previous

Return to Firearms